Top 10 Summer Activities for Students in Burlington
As a college student, it is common knowledge that there is a ton to do in Burlington, VT. What a lot of people don't know is that there is just as much to do (if not more!) in the summer months as there is in the winter. Living here over the summer, college students are never bored. Here is a sampler of some of the awesome events, festivals and tours that you can't miss during the summer months in Burlington!
- Battery Park Concerts: As a broke college student, this is one of the best activities for the summer! You get outdoors, you get to listen to music and you don't have to spend a cent! The concerts will begin Thursdays in July and while you're over there make sure to check out Beansie's Bus for some hot dogs and soda to chow down on during the show. To keep up to date on the concerts and other events through Burlington City arts make sure you visit their page.
- Lake Champlain Maritime Festival: This festival happens down by the waterfront and begins Aug. 15 and goes on for three days. People can go down to the waterfront and see all different kinds of boats along with demonstrations as well as enjoying local food, music and activities. Headliners this year include The Black Crowes on Aug. 17.
- The Summer Sidewalk Sale: This event begins the first Wednesday of August and is a great tradition most college students miss if they go home for the summer. It begins around 8 a.m. and throughout the day Church Street merchants sell their products both in front of and inside their stores. See what else is happening on Church Street over the summer here.
- Vermont Factory Tours: If you haven't already been to the Ben and Jerry's Factory or the Magic Hat Brewery move these tours up to the top of your list. The Ben and Jerry's tour is another perfect activity for a broke college student (Adult tickets are $4) and a lot of fun for a hot summer day. As for Magic Hat, you can't leave Burlington without having been here! It's another fun option for a hot summer day.
- See a Movie at Sunset Drive In: Grab some friends and a car and head to Colchester for an old school drive in night at the movies. It's an easy way to make a movie night extra special and if you like them on Facebook they post ways to win free tickets throughout the summer!
- Burlington Discover Jazz Festival: The Jazz Festival is yet another big event that college students heading home for the summer miss out on. This year the festival will begin May 31 and will be celebrating its' 30th anniversary! It is said to be one of the absolute best events of the year in Burlington and is the absolute essence of summer in Vermont.
- The South End Food Truck Stop: This delicious event is beginning for the very first time this summer! Every Friday starting May 24, a whole variety of food trucks will fill up the parking lot behind Speeder & Earl's. There will be barbecue, tacos, ice cream, fresh juices, beer and more! See what other exciting summer events and art shows are going on in the South End Art District here.
- The Champlain Valley Fair: Summer isn't complete without at least one trip to the fair. This adventure will be up and running Aug. 24 to Sept. 2 and will have a little something for everyone. There will be rides, games, a demolition derby and a performance from Ke$ha.
- 4th of July Fireworks (A Day Early!): Burlington is one of the best places to celebrate Independence Day! The city is buzzing and it all comes down to a brilliant fireworks show on the waterfront. Head down the night of July 3rd to catch a bit of the fun and excitement.
- Farmers' Market in City Hall Park: Even though the Farmers' Market happens year round, it's finally outdoors again! There's nothing like heading down with your friends to pick up some fresh veggies (or deserts!), listen to some music and enjoy the sun on any gorgeous Burlington Saturday. For more Farmers' Markets throughout the State check out this website.
Want to check out even more events and activities happening in Burlington? Feel free to head to some of these places:
or follow the #btv hashtag on Twitter!
Stay tuned for another list coming soon of the top ten summer activities in Burlington if you want to get out, get active and spend some quality time with Mother Nature!
Founded in 1878, Champlain College is a small, not-for-profit, private college in Burlington, Vermont, with additional campuses in Montreal, Quebec and Dublin, Ireland. Champlain offers a traditional undergraduate experience from its beautiful campus overlooking Lake Champlain and more than 60 online undergraduate and graduate degree programs and certificates. Champlain's distinctive career-driven approach to higher education embodies the notion that true learning occurs when information and experience come together to create knowledge. Champlain College is included in the Princeton Review's The Best 381 Colleges: 2017 Edition. Champlain College is featured in the "Fiske Guide to Colleges" for 2017 as one of the "best and most interesting schools" in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain. Champlain was named one of the “Most Innovative Schools” in the North by the U.S. News and World Report’s 2017 “America’s Best Colleges and #91 in the overall list of “Best Regional Universities in the North. For more information, visit www.champlain.edu.