Admitted Student Information

Congratulations on your acceptance to Champlain College. The following information outlines the next steps you need to take prior to your arrival to the United States. If you have any questions, please contact, Office of International Education.


  1. Pay SEVIS fee and Apply for Visa
  2. Pay Deposit
  3. Make Travel Arrangements
  4. Submit Arrival Information Form
  5. Complete and Send Immunization and Health Form
  6. Check your Health Insurance
  7. Attend International Student Orientation
  8. Get Information about Residential Life at Champlain College
  9. Learn about Campus Life
  10. Prepare for Living in the U.S.A.

1. Pay SEVIS fee and Apply for Visa

Once you are admitted to Champlain College and are issued either an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility (F-1) or a DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) the next step requires you to pay a mandatory SEVIS fee.

You can pay electronically online through the websites at Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. At either of these sites, you will find clear instructions on processing the I-901 form which you must fill out and submit with your fee. Be sure to print out a copy of your SEVIS fee payment receipt once the payment has been approved. Paying this fee by mail is also an option. If payment is made by check, it must be from a U.S. bank and made payable to "The Department of Homeland Security". Remember to include a copy of the Form I-901 with your payment.

The SEVIS fee must be made prior to your U.S. Consulate interview. You must bring the SEVIS fee payment receipt to your consulate interview.

Application for a Visa:
Arrange for your U.S. Consulate interview once you receive your I-20 or DS-2019, and paid your SEVIS fee.

Please check out the U.S. government website for additional information.

Back to Top

2. Pay Deposit

To pay the deposit for your Champlain College tuition and housing, please visit our Admitted Students webpage.

Back to Top

3. Make Travel Arrangements

International students must arrive on campus and move into the residence hall several days before the beginning of each semester to attend a special international student orientation. These dates vary from semester to semester so it is necessary for you to contact your International Student Advisor, in the Office of International Education to discuss the early arrival dates. Please also check the Champlain College Academic Calendar before you make travel arrangements.

If you intend to travel in the U.S. prior to coming to the campus, you need to know that according to U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations all initial or beginning F-1 or J-1 visa students are only allowed to enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the program start date as shown on the Form I-20 or DS2019. Please consider this regulation carefully when making travel plans to the U.S.

A beginning student wishing to enter into the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the program start date, must qualify for, and obtain a visitor visa. A prospective student notation will be shown on his/her visitor visa and the traveler will need to make the intent to study (F-1 or J-1) clear to the U.S. immigration inspector at port of entry. If you do not make it clear to the immigration official at this point in time, you will need to exit the U.S. and reentry into the appropriate F-1 or J-1 status.

For information about what to expect when entering the U.S., please visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Back to Top

4. Submit Arrival Information Form

Once you have made your travel plans, please use the Arrival Form to submit your flight information to the International Student Advisor at Champlain College so that we can be made aware of your date of arrival and need for airport pick up.

Back to Top

5. Complete and Send Immunization and Health Form

A student health form is required of all incoming international students showing proof of specific immunizations. The State of Vermont mandates that all students submit proof of vaccines prior to attending classes. Please visit our Health Services website for more information and to download these required health forms.

Back to Top

6. Check your Health Insurance

Full-time international and exchange students are required to show adequate proof of medical coverage and proof of emergency medical evaluation and repatriation coverage. Students will be billed for Champlain College insurance coverage but students may be eligible to DECLINE this insurance fee based on comparable insurance coverage. Click here for information on How to Waiver the Health Insurance. Please visit our Student Accounts for more information on declining the health insurance.

Back to Top

7. Attend International Student Orientation

International students will participate in both the special International Student Orientation and the general all-new Student Orientation. The International Student Orientation is designed to help our international students get settled, take care of college business and meet various staff and faculty. International students will gain an understanding of immigration and visa-related issues, explore the campus and community, make new friends, learn more about the culture and customs of the U.S. and have fun as they begin their Champlain experience. A variety of activities, workshops and outings are planned. Contact with questions.

Online registration and payment form is live for the combined International and New student Orientations. The fee will be $150 for both orientations. This fee covers meals, expenses and activities held during orientation week.

Fall 2015 International Student Orientation

Arrival: Sunday, August 23, 2015

Plan to arrive in the evening on this date. After you receive your student visa, please send your flight information to us. The residence hall will be open, however, the international orientation program and meals begin on Monday, August 24. If you arrive before Aug. 23, you will be responsible for your lodging, meals and transportation.

Monday, August 24- Thursday August 27, 2015

The International Student Orientation will give you a chance to get settled into your residence hall, take care of college business and tour the campus. International orientation leaders are available to help you get acquainted with the campus and the Burlington city center. This is be a good opportunity to meet staff, faculty and other students who will help you throughout your stay at Champlain College. Sessions on U.S. academics, public safety, housing and immigration are planned. This special international student orientation is mandatory for all new incoming international and exchange students. The orientation fee is $150 and can be paid online.

All New Student Orientation

The general orientation for all new students begins on Friday, August 28 and continues through Sunday, August 30, 2015. This orientation will include the official college welcome, student activities and a chance to meet the Champlain academic teams. All international and exchange students must also attend this three-day orientation.

Summer Bridge Program

If you are attending the 2015 Summer Bridge Program then you must attend an orientation on Sunday, June 28, 2015.

Fall classes begin Monday, August 31, 2015

Details Here

Back to Top

8. Get Information about Residential Life at Champlain College

Please visit the Office of Residential Life for more information.

What to Bring

Click here to learn about "What to Bring". During International Student Orientation, we arrange shopping time for international students to buy personal items for their residence hall room.


If you are in doubt about what type of computer to bring, click here for recommended computer specifications.


A standard landline phone is available for each residence hall room. If you would like a phone in your residence hall room, then please notify the Residential Life at

Cell Phone Options:

  • Tracfone (Prepaid cell phone, no contracts)
  • Verizon (Cell phone, Prepaid cell phone)
  • Sprint (Cell phone, Prepaid cell phone)
  • AT&T (Cell phone, Prepaid cell phone)

Back to Top

9. Learn about Campus Life

Please visit Student Life for more information.

Champlain Student ID Card

A Champlain College student identification card is issued to all new students. As a Champlain College student you will need your ID card for identification, access into your residence hall and the dining facility and riding the CCTA city buses. Discounts are also available at area businesses.

If you would like to order your Champlain ID Card prior to your arrival, then send an email with a photo in advance to the college. Your photo needs to be a color individual headshot in JPG format; no hats, no pets, no groups.

Back to Top

10. Prepare for living in the U.S.A.

About Burlington

Burlington, Vermont is the largest city in the state with a population of just under 39,000. It is a very small and relatively safe city, which is home to four colleges and universities. The city is located on the shores of Lake Champlain and at the base of the Green Mountains. It is a beautiful place, with many opportunities for outdoor activities and cultural events. If you would like to explore Burlington more, please visit following sites.

Interacting with Vermonters

Are you excited or worried about your new life in Vermont? Please read Interacting with Vermont (PDF) and become familiar with American life before you come to Vermont.

About U.S.A.

Visit the U.S. Department of State website for useful information about living in the USA.


It is neither necessary nor practical to carry large amounts of cash with you. If you have not done so already, you should open a U.S. checking account. When opening an account you must present identification (passport, driver's license) and proof of affiliation with the college. Different banks have their own policies on service charges and minimum balance requirements for checking accounts and interest yields on savings. Be sure to ask for complete information about the various plans at each bank you call or visit.

The Hauke Campus Center has an Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) that allows you to withdraw money from your account 24 hours a day if your bank participates in the network.

Banks in Burlington, Vermont


Champlain College offers the Unlimited Access Free Bus Ride Program. All Champlain College faculty, staff and students can ride any CCTA city bus anytime, anywhere, including the LINK Express routes for FREE. Just show the bus driver your Champlain College student ID card and then swipe it through the fare box card reader. If you need to take more than one bus to get to your destination, you MUST ask the driver for a transfer before you leave the bus.

  • Visit the CATMA, CCTA & Other Programs page for more information about transportation program.
  • Visit CCTA (Chittenden County Transportation Authority) for more information about local bus.

Driver's License
In order to get a Vermont driver's license, you must first take a written test and if you do not possess a currently valid driver's license from another state or country, you will need to take a road test as well. If you need more information, visit Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles.
*As an international/exchange student, non-driver state ID is not available in Vermont.

Back to Top

Office of International Education

Champlain College
P.O. Box 670
Burlington, Vermont 05402
Phone: (802)-383-6633