The Sonic Arts specialization is an optional part of your Creative Media major and may be taken as your primary focus or one of your complementary areas of study. Your faculty advisor in the Division of Communication & Creative Media will help you map out the best academic path to reach your desired career and/or graduate studies goals.
The important skills you develop through the Sonic Arts specialization sequence of courses will give you a tremendous advantage in the marketplace when you begin your job search—this highly specialized skillset is much in demand for creating today's broadcast, video and streaming media professionals.
- Learn the fundamentals of music and how to create it on the computer using digital tools.
- Hands-on sound production courses will introduce you to audio techniques, covering the basics of writing, producing and engineering productions for audio production.
- Learn how to write, produce and perform a variety of programs including news, interviews, commercials, dramas and documentaries.
- Gain a solid understanding of digital audio recording and editing techniques for persuasion, information and entertainment, as well as the experience you need to be proficient in technical aspects of sound and music production, such as signal flows, mixing, mastering, compression, asset management and online delivery.
- Delve into creating sounds using current industry standard synthesizers by working at digital audio workstations to record and organize synthesized sounds and explore the vast array of electronic effects in Apple Logic.
- Courses toward the end of the specialization sequence will have a specific emphasis on the creative and artistic approaches to sound design.
COURSES IN THIS SPECIALIZATION CURRENTLY INCLUDE:
Choose one of the following courses:
Choose two of the following courses: