WHY CHOOSE TO MINOR IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE?
As the world transitions to a more global market, there is a strong emphasis on understanding foreign cultures. Students must be prepared to sell themselves in the marketplace upon graduation - and sell their ideas worldwide. In the Foreign Language minor, you'll focus on learning these skills.
- Learn to speak at least two languages at Champlain to use in the global market
- Begin to understand the priorities and concerns of the cultures in the languages you study, while developing an appreciation for the global market.
- Learn a new way of thinking and expressing your ideas.
- Improve your cognitive skills as you develop writing and listening abilities needed to be internationally engaged.
- Gain a cross-cultural awareness of countries that speak your language of choice and, in addition to learning to speak, read and write in the language, you'll learn how to appropriately conduct yourself in social, travel and professional settings.
*You are also given free access to online language aids, such as Mango Languages and PowerspeaK12.
COURSES IN THIS MINOR CURRENTLY INCLUDE:
- LAN 110-315: French I-IV
- LAN 120-325: Spanish I-IV
- LAN 140-345: Japanese I-IV
- LAN 160 and 260: Arabic I-II
Plus: Students are also given the opportunity to explore German, Italian, and Mandarin Chinese at the neighboring school, St. Michael's College in Colchester, Vermont.
NEED MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS MINOR?
Ask a question, and someone from our Admission team will put you in touch with the faculty or staff member who can best answer your questions.