Each semester, Champlain's Secondary Teacher Education program exposes our students to the cutting-edge of teaching practice. As our students are learning teaching techniques in the college classroom, they immediately get to apply them in local classrooms of the age groups for which they are being trained to teach.
Each semester, Champlain College Education majors have the opportunity to be interacting with students in classroom settings, and their resumes become very distinctive because they are actually involved with current education initiatives at the local schools. All Champlain College teacher education programs are approved by the State of Vermont Department of Education.
Through your studies in Secondary Education, you will:
- Get deep into curriculum design
- Gain competencies in Adolescent Psychology, Learning Theory, Social Injustice and International Cultural Studies
- Gain invaluable international experience working with ELL other students in Burlington's nationally recognized refugee resettlement communities.
- Learn to use state-of-the-art technology in the classroom.
- Create a portfolio to showcase your work.
- Get recommended for Vermont Licensure, which makes you eligible to teach in 47 states.
Mix Classroom Theory with Actual Production Experience
- Thanks to our Upside-Down Curriculum, you'll be taking Learning Theory, Adolescent Psychology and Integrating Technology as well as at least two other courses from the Secondary Teacher Education curriculum in your first year at Champlain.
- Our field-tested Secondary Education faculty will give you the skills and confidence required to lead your own classroom.
- Spend time every semester helping out in real classrooms through field experience, and Student Teaching.
- Study Abroad is built right into the program so you can spend a semester studying at our campus in Montreal, or another exciting destination.
- This major will assist you in designing and implementing your own classroom curriculum. Learn the other skills you will master in the Secondary Teacher Education major.
- Students in Champlain's Secondary Teacher Education major can qualify for Vermont State Licensure, enabling them to teach in Vermont and 47 other states; envision your Career Success.
- Find out what you need to know to Apply to this popular major.