Is guiding and teaching the youngest members of society your personal calling? The Early Childhood/Elementary Teacher Education program creates a distinctive advantage for its graduates. Because you'll be qualified for dual-licensure endorsement in both early childhood and elementary education, your course of study will provide you opportunities for a fuller understanding of children's developmental and learning stages, from birth through early adolescence.
Champlain's Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood/Elementary Teacher Education program will give you an unparalleled number of hands-on experiences working in a diverse range of local early childhood and elementary school classrooms. You'll complete supervised field experiences in early childhood and elementary schools that link with each semester's coursework, and then spend the final semester of your senior year student-teaching under the support and direction of a classroom teacher and a Champlain instructor. Our holistic approach to teacher education, which seamlessly integrates theory with practice, will give you a deeper set of educational tools and methods from which to draw.
- Build community: small class-sizes allow you to create strong personal relationships with your professors and other education majors.
- Experience a broad spectrum of teaching environments: Vermont offers a diverse number of educational settings, including rural, small-town and urban.
- Actively engage in your learning: apply what you learn as you learn it.
- Deepen your understanding of diverse cultures: work with English Language Learners (ELL); study and teach abroad; take advantage of service learning opportunities, both locally and internationally.
- Get recommended for licensure: A Vermont State teacher's license is acknowledged in most states.
Follow Your Teaching Passion
- Take Child Psychology, Children's Literature and Expressive Arts, and Foundations of Learning & Practicum, among others from the Early Childhood and Elementary Education curriculum in your first year at Champlain, thanks to our Upside-Down Curriculum.
- Learn from our Early Childhood/Elementary Teacher Education faculty will guide you towards the skills and confidence required to lead your own classroom.
- Spend time every semester in real classrooms through field experiences and Student Teaching.
- Study Abroad for a semester at our campuses in Dublin or Montreal. Or choose to study at another exciting destination.
- Develop lesson plans and activities. Read more about the other skills and knowledge you will master.
- Complement your degree with a minor, such as Global Studies, Environmental Policy, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Psychology, Web Development Minor.
- Find out what you need to know to Apply to this popular major.