If you are passionate about telling stories visually, the BFA program in Filmmaking is tailored to the next generation of filmmakers. Through access to cutting-edge equipment, you'll learn the best practices in the industry and develop your creative and technical skills by:
- Being exposed to a variety of filmmaking styles, including narrative fiction, documentary, animation and experimental
- Exploring different production roles: director, cinematographer, sound designer and editor
- Acquiring a solid foundation in film history, aesthetics and criticism
- Learning the vital business aspects of the filmmaking profession, such as budgeting, funding and marketing
This remarkable combination of technical skills, artistic experimentation, conceptual engagement and business training will help you polish your own signature style and prepare you for a variety of creative opportunities in the industry.
Filmmaking students may also complete a specialization in Sonic Arts, where you'll learn state-of-the-art tools for creating sound effects and film scores. Many of our Filmmaking graduates launch their careers by becoming freelance filmmakers. Champlain's Build Your Own Business (BYOBiz) program and business workshops equip students to succeed in their freelance ventures.
Mix Classroom Theory with Hands-On Production Experience
- Take Introduction to Filmmaking, Screenwriting I and Audio Production, as well as three other courses relevant to your profession in the Filmmaking curriculum in your first year at Champlain, thanks to our Upside-Down Curriculum.
- Learn from working professionals who have produced and directed films across the country. Our Filmmaking faculty will teach you the technical and creative expertise you need stand out in this highly competitive field.
- Build a stand-out professional reel and portfolio by the end of your senior year. Additionally, create a highly marketable resume by pursuing Filmmaking internship opportunities.
- Tailor your degree program with an optional specialization in Sonic Arts.
- Choose Filmmaking electives such as Advanced Screenwriting, Advanced Cinematography or Experimental Filmmaking that align with your interests and career goals.
- Learn to express your unique voice as a filmmaker and how to manage the resources required for independent film production. Read about the other skills you will master in the Filmmaking BFA.
- Become a part of the generation that changes how (and where!) we view films. Envision your career success.
- Attend the Montreal Filmmaking Summer Program
- Find out what you need to know to apply to this popular major.