A Focused Area of Study For Professional Writing Majors
Journalism is at a crossroads. With an ever-increasing number of digital news venues, this constantly changing and growing profession offers more opportunity than ever before. Champlain's Journalism specialization prepares you with the hands-on skills, expertise and knowledge to enter a field with enormous potential.
- Learn the fundamental skills of journalism, including interview techniques, research and meeting deadlines.
- Write extensively in the three primary narrative journalistic forms: news, features and news features.
- Incorporate audio, digital photography and videography in journalistic webcasts and podcasts.
- Examine the contemporary media environment, including corporate ownership, censorship and the issues involving privacy, freedom of expression and public interest.
- Learn professional codes of conduct, artistic and social responsibility, and the ethics of reporting.
- Join the staff of Champlain's student-run online news source, The Crossover, giving you first-hand experience in the behind-the-scenes production process.
Courses in this specialization currently include: