Want to change the world? Influence a teenager. There's no better place to do that than from the front of a classroom.
If you are passionate about teaching the lessons we can learn from history or communicating the power of language, the Bachelor of Science in Secondary Teacher Education program gets you interacting with teens starting in your first semester.
In addition to thorough preparation to become an English or Social Studies teacher, the Secondary Teacher Education major will prepare you to become a leader in education. The face of education is changing, and the world needs a new generation of innovative educators. This program has been structured to equip teachers to rise to the educational challenges of tomorrow.
- Build community: small class-sizes allow you to create strong personal relationships with your professors and other education majors—creating the ideal environment in which to learn how to be a teacher.
- Actively engage in your learning: apply what you learn as you learn it.
- Experience a broad spectrum of teaching environments: Vermont offers a diverse number of educational settings, including rural, small-town and urban. You'll spend upward of 30 hours in the field in your first year of the program.
- Deepen your understanding of diverse cultures: work with English Language Learners (ELL), and take advantage of the option to study and teach abroad.
- Change the world: dive into extraordinary service learning projects as a part of your major that make a significant difference in the community.
- Get recommended for licensure: A state of Vermont teaching license is recognized in 47 states. You'll be eligible for licensure in either Secondary Language Arts or Secondary Social Studies.
Become A Teacher by Teaching
- Take Learning Theory, Adolescent Psychology and Integrating Technology among other major-specific courses from the Secondary Teacher Education curriculum in your first year at Champlain, thanks to our Upside-Down Curriculum.
- Learn from our dynamic Secondary Education faculty who will model best practices in your teaching methods classes.
- Spend time every semester in local area schools through field experiences Student Teaching.
- Study Abroad at one of our campuses in Montreal, Dublin, or at another exciting destination. If you choose to study at one of our international academic centers, you will have the opportunity to participate in an field-study internship or student placement.
- Learn strategies for integrating technology into the classroom and for designing curriculum. Read more about the other skills and knowledge you will master.
- Find out what you need to know to Apply to this popular major.