Military Tuition Assistance


Air Force

Review AI Portal for further/updated info.

Contact the Unit ESO for specific questions.

Coast Guard
Contact the Unit ESO for specific questions.

Marine Corps

Link to MARADMIN which addresses policy changes to Marine MilTA.

Contact the Unit ESO for specific questions. 

DoD policy requires educational institutions that wish to participate in the DoD Tuition Assistance (TA) Program to sign an MOU conveying the commitments and agreements between the educational institution and DoD prior to an educational institution receiving funds from a service's TA program.

Champlain College is a participating institution as of September 19, 2014.

Benefits Summary:

Military Tuition Assistance (MilTA) is funded by the Department of Defense and can pay up to 100% of  tuition and fee expenses up to limits imposed by each branch of service.  MilTA can be used in conjunction with Department of Veteran Affairs GI Bills Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill) and Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) through the "Top-up" program to pay for tuition and fees that exceed the MilTA maximum allowance.

To Qualify:

Military Tuition Assistance is administered by each service according to their own regulations, qualifying criteria, procedures and limitations. Service members are encouraged to contact their command Education Services Office for the current status of their service's MilTA program and available funding.

What will I receive?

Generally, Military Tuition Assistance:

  • provides up to $250 per credit, $4500 per fiscal year (1Oct-30Sept) (Navy: annual max is 16 credits)
  • is paid directly to the school
  • can be used in conjunction with VA "Top-up" to cover tuition and fees exceeding MilTA funding caps
  • must be approved before the start of the class
  • may be requested/applied for no more that 30 days prior to the start of the class

To Apply for Military Tuition Assistance:

1. Obtain Military Tuition Assistance approval before class starts, but no sooner than 30 days prior:

  • Army, Army Reserve, Army NG:
  • Air Force, Air Force Reserve Air NG:
  • Navy, Marine Corps, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve: Contact a Navy College Officer, complete and submit to ESO NTPDTC  1560
  • Coast Guard, Coast Guard Reserve: Complete and submit CG-4147

note: contact the Champlain College Enrollment Service Center(ESC)  if you need support documentation(billing statement, education plan) to accompany your MilTA application

2. Provide a copy of your approved MilTA to the Champlain College Office of Students Accounts so the school is aware of your source of tuition payment and you can arrange to pay any remaining. 

3. The Office of Student Accounts works directly with each service invoicing the appropriate charges and applying payments to the student account.

4. Notify the Veteran Services Office if you plan to use VA Top-up in conjunction with the MilTA so the School Certifying Official can work with you to properly certify your Top-up enrollment to the VA. If you choose to use VA Education benefits in conjunction with your MilTA, you should take a look at the TATU TopUp program webpage. If you are engaged in active duty, you may find it useful to cover the tuition beyond what the MilTA provides. For example MilTA may provide $750 of a 3 credit $1839 class ($613 per credit), TATU can pay the remaining $1089.

Additional information: Military Tuition Assistance

eBenefits Portal

"Post 9/11 GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs

Take the next step