Chapter 35 Dependents Education Assistance (DEA) is a benefit for dependents of certain veterans.
For up-to-date information regarding the maximum tuition reimbursement for the Montgomery GI Bill and other benefits, please visit the GI Bill Rate Table at gibill.va.gov.
You must be the son, daughter or spouse of a veteran who:
- Died or is permanently disabled due to a service related disability.
- Died from any cause while under such a disability.
- Was captured in the line of duty by a hostile force or was missing in action.
- Was detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.
- Was hospitalized and likely to be discharged due to a service connected disability
Additionally, you should be between the age of 18 and 26 and you should take advantage of this benefit before 10 years of when you are eligible.
Apply online at www.gibill.va.gov
To Claim Benefits:
- The student must contact Veteran Services Office every semester, after enrolling in classes, to request VA Enrollment Certification
- Only courses that meet degree completion requirements may be counted towards full time enrollment for VA purposes.
- Students may be required to re-pay benefits if they do not successfully complete coursework.
For more info, call the VA at 888-442-4551.
Please visit http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/other_programs/dea.html.
Visit our What's Next page for more information regarding claiming your benefit.