TAP's Mission is to attract, support, and develop the most effective teachers and school leaders in the State of Vermont.
- TAP is designed for individuals with a bachelor's degree, strong content knowledge and work experience, who are interested in pursuing a teaching career.
- TAP is an 8 month full-time internship including coursework and student teaching with a mentor teacher. There are two intakes per year. The first class begins in mid-August and is completed at the end of March, while the second class begins in mid-November and is completed in June. Candidates should expect to be engaged from 7:30 to 3:30 five days a week, with the exception of school holidays.
- TAP prepares candidates to become licensed directly through the Vermont Agency of Education.
- TAP is now accepting applications for its next term starting in mid- August 2015.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree with a strong concentration in courses related to the educator endorsement being sought (typically 30 credits or equivalent for high school, 18 credits or equivalent for middle level).
- Strong content area background and professional experience related to the educator endorsement being sought.
- Related professional and/or life experiences which would show evidence that the candidate genuinely likes and enjoys working with young people.
- Ability to make the time commitment necessary for successful and timely completion of the 8 month Program.
When to Apply
- Applications are available here. TAP accepts candidates on a rolling admission basis. Since class size is limited, it is best to apply as early as possible.
Steps to Applying
- Decide which licensure endorsement you will be pursuing. TAP does not prepare individuals for licensure in elementary education, guidance, or special education. If you have strong content knowledge in your field through college course work, life and work experiences, and you possess a Bachelor's degree, then you meet the minimum requirements for TAP.
- Complete an application. Include transcripts and resume, specify the license or endorsement sought, and submit your application and $100 non-refundable fee to:
Vermont TAP Program
P.O. Box 670
Burlington, VT 05402
- The internship runs approximately eight months. The first intake runs from mid August to late March. The second intake runs from mid-November to late June. Breaks and holidays shall be consistent with the school calendar.
- TAP tuition is $10,900, which shall be due prior to the start of the Program. If payment is not received by the deadline specified, the applicant shall forfeit his/her placement in TAP. VSAC is a possible source for grants and loans. More information can be found at www.vsac.org
- Tuition includes all costs associated with the program such as:
- an eight month apprenticeship with a mentor teacher
- coursework, workshops, and seminars
- supervision by TAP faculty during your student teaching internship
- individualized, on-going Level I Portfolio development
Additional costs include a $160 application fee to the Agency of Education for the State of Vermont for licensure (3 year Level I). For more information, view here.
- Passing both Praxis I and Praxis II (or qualifying scores for Praxis I exemption).
- Attendance at and participation in TAP seminars.
- Successful completion of a solo teaching experience.
- Completion and approval of a Level I Portfolio.