Sunday, October 4, 2015 1:00pm-3:30pm
All second-year students participate in Sophomore Symposium, the kick-off activity for LEAD's Lifelong Career Management Program. Each year, a special guest will join us as the keynote speaker to start off our Sophomore Symposium. The keynote presentation will be followed by breakout Career SMARTalks designed to allow students to start exploring how others in their field have gone about turning their passion into a career.
Registration for breakout Career SMARTalks will open on Wednesday, September 23rd!
Presenting the 2015 Sophomore Symposium Speaker: Lauren Berger
Lauren Berger is known as "The Intern Queen" and Chief Executive Officer of InternQueen.com. She is the author of the National Campus Best-Seller, ALL WORK NO PAY: Finding An Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience (Ten Speed/Random House), and arguably the nation's most in-demand career/internship expert. She has been internationally recognized for her work with young people and her entrepreneurial spirit has attracted millions of job and internship seekers. Recently, Berger has been featured on The Today Show, Fox & Friends, The New York Times, The New York Post, Teen Vogue, Bloomberg, LA Weekly, and more. She regularly contributes to AOL Jobs, USA Today, Huffington Post, Seventeen.com, Justine Magazine, and more.
Berger started InternQueen.com in September of 2009 when she was 24 years old. She is from Clearwater, Florida, and attended Countryside High School. Berger graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2006 and her first job was working at Creative Artists Agency in Beverly Hills. Berger thanks Tracy Brennan, one of the most powerful women in Hollywood, for her strong work ethic and ability to work efficiently and effectively. In 2008, Berger was recognized by famous movie producer, Marshall Herskovitz, who helped her get started on her own and guided the brand. For a sneak peak at some of Lauren's tips, check out her blog.
Champlain College will make reasonable accommodations for persons with medically recognized, documented needs. If you require accommodations in order to fully participate in your educational experience or other Champlain College activity, please contact Denise Myers in the Counseling & Accommodations Services Center by phone 802.865.5484 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Maggie Riley by phone at 802.651.5847 or email email@example.com.
Past Sophomore Symposium Speakers:
- 2014: Lindsey Pollak: Expert on training, managing and marketing to the Millennial generation as well as an official ambassador for LinkedIn. Books: Becoming the Boss: New Rules for the Next Generation of Leaders and Getting from College to Career: Your Essential Guide to Succeeding in the Real World.
- 2013: Daniel Seddiqui:Explorer and author of Living the Map: 50 Jobs in 50 States. Daniel explains his experience of traveling all 50 states to work 50 different careers in 50 weeks.
- 2011 & 2012: Eddie Slowikowski: Entrepreneur, Olympic Gold Medal Winner, Founder & Director of the LifeRide Leadership Camp. Books: The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch, Leaving Microsoft to Change the World, by John Wood, Work on Purpose, by Kelly Nuxoll, and Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion and Purpose by Tony Hsieh
- 2010: Alison Levine: Adventurer, explorer and mountaineer. Book: Peaks and Valleys by Spencer Johnson
- 2009: Christopher Gergen: Entrepreneur, visiting lecturer at Duke University and co-author of Life Entrepreneurs. Book: Life Entrepreneurs by Christopher Gergen and Gregg Vanourek.