Sunday, October 23, 2016 1:00pm-3:30pm
Sophomore Symposium is a professional conference for all sophomores that includes an inspirational keynote speaker, followed by a selection of Career SMARTalks specific to your industry.
Click here to learn more about which breakout Career SMARTalk you will attend!
Presenting the 2016 Sophomore Symposium Keynote Speaker: Colin Ryan
Featured everywhere from NPR to Moth Radio Hour and Reader's Digest, Colin Ryan is a nationally in-demand, award-winning comedic financial speaker (seriously). Colin has been recognized as one of the top 10 money presenters in America, and has collaborated with the Girl Scouts of America, National Geographic Television, and companies and colleges across the country. He also currently serves as the only male commissioner on the Vermont Commission on Women.
Colin's interactive large-group session is a comedic and motivational guide to building confidence, developing a network, and handling money so you can reach your dream job and write a great story with your life.
Skills and Topics that will be explained: Embrace Diversity both by recognizing what your own identities have taught you, and by offering inclusion to those different from you; Leadership is about being different, whether it means putting yourself out there, searching for your purpose, or simply making the right choice when no one else will; Find Your Niche using the methods Colin used: trying on careers, harnessing the power of being an outsider, and pursuing success by failing intelligently in the right direction.
Champlain College will make reasonable accommodations for persons with medically recognized, documented needs. If you require accommodations in order to fully participate in your educational experience or other Champlain College activity, please contact Denise Myers in the Counseling & Accommodations Services Center by phone (802) 865-5484 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Maggie Riley by phone at (802) 651-5847 or email email@example.com.
Past Sophomore Symposium Speakers:
- 2015: Lauren Berger: Known as "The Intern Queen" and Chief Executive Officer of InternQueen.com. She is the author of the National Campus Best-Seller, ALL WORK NO PAY: Finding An Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience (Ten Speed/Random House), and arguably the nation's most in-demand career/internship expert.
- 2014: Lindsey Pollak: Expert on training, managing and marketing to the Millennial generation as well as an official ambassador for LinkedIn. Books: Becoming the Boss: New Rules for the Next Generation of Leaders and Getting from College to Career: Your Essential Guide to Succeeding in the Real World.
- 2013: Daniel Seddiqui: Explorer and author of Living the Map: 50 Jobs in 50 States. Daniel explains his experience of traveling all 50 states to work 50 different careers in 50 weeks.
- 2011 & 2012: Eddie Slowikowski: Entrepreneur, Olympic Gold Medal Winner, Founder & Director of the LifeRide Leadership Camp. Books: The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch, Leaving Microsoft to Change the World, by John Wood, Work on Purpose, by Kelly Nuxoll, and Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion and Purpose by Tony Hsieh
- 2010: Alison Levine: Adventurer, explorer and mountaineer. Book: Peaks and Valleys by Spencer Johnson
- 2009: Christopher Gergen: Entrepreneur, visiting lecturer at Duke University and co-author of Life Entrepreneurs. Book: Life Entrepreneurs by Christopher Gergen and Gregg Vanourek.