How to Help a Friend:
- Observe for signals of change in behavior — your friend may be agitated, belligerent, risk-taking, and be a danger to themselves or others.
- Try to wake your friend — if your friend does not respond, there may be a serious problem.
- Listen to your friends' breathing — is it regular or does it seem shallow or too slow (less than 8 times a minute)?
- Check your friends' skin — is it normal color or does it seem pale or bluish; does it seem cold or clammy?
If you discover any one of the above problems on campus or off-campus:
- Call 911 and/or Champlain College Campus Public Safety (802) 865-6465. We're here to help!
- Stay with your friend while waiting for help
- Make sure your friend is lying on his or her side to prevent choking in case of vomiting