Center for Creative Media (CCM) Project
CCM Update May 22, 2015
Exterior: Window installation continues on the exterior of the building.
Interior: There is quite a bit of activity inside as carpet and tile installations occur in the new addition and interior demo continues in the existing Hauke building with mechanical, electrical, and plumbing trades close behind with rough-in. Final furniture selection is happening and orders will go out in the next two weeks to assure on-time delivery for opening.
Project remains on schedule.
For further updates and information check out our Facebook page "Champlain College Campus Planning."
For further weekly updates click here.
The Center for Communication and Creative Media (CCM) project is a 42,000 square foot addition and alterations to the existing Hauke Center and Alumni Auditorium located at the center of campus. When completed in August, 2015, the expanded and renovated structures will have a combined gross floor area of approximately 75,000 square feet. The Architect firm on this project is Colin Lindberg Architects and the Construction Manager is H.P. Cummings.
In addition to becoming the new academic home for the CCM academic division of the College, the building will also contain several other strategic initiatives that will benefit the campus at large, including:
- Transit Center. The project site will serve as the primary transit portal for the campus, providing the College shuttle bus access between the main campus and its remote parking facility located along Lakeside Avenue. The main level of the building will contain a lounge area with seating, and food and beverage services.
- Retail Store / Mail Service. The main level will also contain floor area for campus mail and a retail store for sundries and college-branded merchandise.
- Dining and Events Center. The College will be creating a second dining facility within the CCM building in order to accommodate additional demand generated by the increased undergraduate residential population (275 new on-campus dormitory beds). In addition, the facility will contain a large conference room space (capacity: 300 persons +/-) that will be able to accommodate a variety of academic and social functions.
- Alumni Auditorium Upgrades. The project contemplates improvements to Alumni Auditorium, a 200-seat theater/lecture hall, including new seating, lighting, HVAC and audio-visual systems.
- Hauke Center Upgrades. As part of the CCM Project, the Hauke Center will receive upgrades to its HVAC system, thermal envelope and finishes.
- Energy Efficiency. Consistent with its mission to embrace sustainable technologies in the design, construction and operation of its campus facilities, the College will be expanding its use of geothermal energy to heat and cool the new CCM building. The Project includes an extension of its geothermal infrastructure (well head production and piping to accomplish this goal. Champlain College has set a 'green' design goal on this project of achieving Three Globes under the Green Globes rating system. This third party certification program is run by The Green Building Initiative. Positioned as an alternative to USGBC's LEED program, it uses a checklist approach, granting projects points for areas in which they exceed standard industry practice. The system is more broadly adopted within Canada where it originated, but is building a market presence in the United States. To our knowledge, this will be the first Green Globes project within Vermont. A rating of Three Globes is viewed to be similar to a Gold target under the LEED system.
A recent gift from Robert and Christine Stiller through the Stiller Family Foundation will help fund capital investments in the new Center for Communications and Creative Media. The new facility will free up space in the S.D. Ireland Family Center for Global Business and Technology so that all the business faculty and programs will be located in one building.
A few conceptual drawings are below:
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact Karen Dusini, Senior Project Manager for Campus Planning at (802) 865-6451 or firstname.lastname@example.org.