(No longer enrolling new students)
Gain the Mediation Skills You Need to Become More Valuable In Any Professional Setting
In a world full of complex disputes, professionals with constructive conflict engagement skills have never been more in demand. Conceived and constructed by mediation and conflict intervention professionals, Champlain College’s Master of Science in Mediation & Applied Conflict Studies (MSMACS) will give you the education you need to become a skilled, confident professional in conflict engagement and resolution in virtually any professional setting.
Originally developed at Woodbury College in 1984 and relocated to Champlain College in 2008, this groundbreaking degree pioneered a practice-based approach to advanced mediation education. The MS in Mediation & Applied Conflict Studies is an intensive exploration of the continuum of response to conflict, including mediation, facilitation, conflict analysis, consultation and negotiation. The program incorporates face-to-face learning through highly engaging online coursework, fieldwork and our on-campus residency experience.
Benefits of the MS in Mediation & Applied Conflict Studies
- Explore and practice real-world conflict-resolution skills. While many programs excel in theory alone, Champlain’s mediation program’s strong theoretical foundation, coupled with intensive hands-on experience, will give you a solid grounding in the best practices in this important field.
- Tailor your education to your specific interests. The program offers a number of opportunities to customize your education, including a focus on conflict resolution skills to benefit organizations, community work, policy dialogues and family mediation.
- Connect with mediation and conflict intervention professionals. Our faculty will guide you in establishing a network of professional contacts and affiliations that will allow you to enter into your own practice immediately after graduation or apply your skills in any number of professions, including human resources, law, social services and healthcare—to name a few.
- Experience a distinctive residency element at our Burlington campus. Spend time in beautiful Burlington, Vermont, working with faculty and fellow graduate students on how to interact in face-to-face conflict scenarios.
- Engage in a thought-provoking, online learning environment. You’ll have access to coursework 24/7, as well as online mediation simulation technology.