Transfer Credits for Online Students

Get the Transfer Credit You Deserve

Champlain College developed our transfer credit policy to make it easier and more affordable for you to complete your degree. We know that as an adult student, you are not just an older version of an 18-year-old undergraduate. You have needs, skills and knowledge that traditional-age students do not.

At Champlain, we want you to get all the credit you deserve for that experience. Once you apply, we can work with you to determine your eligibility to receive:


To earn transfer credits for prior college experience, you must submit either official ("raised seal") copies of your transcripts in the original, sealed envelope from the sending college or university, or official e-transcripts. All previous college credit will be reviewed individually, course by course. See our transfer policy for more details.


As an adult, you bring a lot to the table, including life experience that could be applied toward your Champlain degree. When you apply for admission, we will evaluate your potential credit based upon your responses to a series of questions in your application about your academic and professional experiences, including:

  • Professional Training

If you have been involved in training that resulted in credentialing or a certification, we will determine if there's a college credit equivalency. Should we determine equivalency is merited, you will be awarded college credit for a specific course(s) and that course(s) will be noted as a transfer credit on your transcript. These training experiences will not be assigned a grade, and the courses will come in as transfer credit. You can transfer a maximum of 90 credits maximum toward a bachelor's degree into the institution. To learn more, speak to a member of our admissions team at 888-545-3459 or fill out a contact form.

  • Waivers or Substitutions

In cases where you may have equivalent professional experience or lifelong learning, we welcome you to submit a request for a waiver or substitution for a course requirement. All waivers and substitutions must be authorized by the appropriate program director or the dean. You will then have met the course requirement, but you will not receive academic credit for the course.

  • "Test Out"

You can opt out of a course and receive credit, depending upon the course, by taking the final exam, completing the final project or by some other means determined by the Program Director. At Champlain College, we call this "Test Out." You can initiate the Test Out process after completing your first full semester. If you earn a grade of "C" or better, you'll receive full credit for the course. If you would like to pursue this option, there is a $150 per course fee. There is no refund for this fee if you don't earn the grade necessary to receive the credit.

For other possible transfer credit options and more information, see our Transfer Credit FAQ.