Although Burlington, Vermont is fairly small, it doesn't go unnoticed. Ranked one of America's "Smallest Big Cities," (population: 42,417), both Burlington and the state of Vermont have been gaining attention in the news and media over the last few years.
Burlington's biggest achievement is its growing industry and its ability to provide jobs. Home to big companies like IBM and UVM Medical Center, and local businesses like Lake Champlain Chocolates, Ben & Jerry's, Dealer.com and Seventh Generation, Burlington is filled with numerous job opportunities. Ranked in the top cities with low unemployment rates by 24/7 Wall Street, Burlington is the place for undergraduates.
Here are just some of the awards Burlington and Vermont have won over the last four years:
2015 Regional Accolades
- ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO LIVE NOW: Burlington was ranked #8 in "The 10 Best Places to Live Now" by Men's Journal
2014 Regional Accolades
- CAPITAL OF EDUCATION: Burlington was named "America's Capital of Education" by Urbanful
- ONE OF THE GREATEST PLACES TO LIVE: Burlington ranked #7 in Outside Magazine's
list, "The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America."
- PROMISING TECH HUB: Burlington was among Techie.com's "Most Promising Tech Hubs to Watch in 2014."
2013 Regional Accolades
- THE BEST COLLEGE TOWN: Burlington was ranked #1 on Travel + Leisure's "America's Best College Towns."
- A GIG CITY: As part of US Ignite's non-profit initiative, Burlington has been named one of 25 'Gig Cities' in the country.
- TOP CITY FOR TECH INNOVATION: Burlington was named an "Underrated Tech Hub to Watch" by Brookings' patent and innovation research.
- A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE: Burlington was ranked #2 on Kiplinger's Top 10 Greatest Places to Live.
- TOP ADVENTURE TOWN: Voted #14 in the list of Top 100 Adventure Towns by National Geographic Adventure magazine.
- HAPPIEST: Vermont has been ranked among the Happiest States in the country.
- THE COUNTRY'S SAFEST DRIVING: Vermont has been rated as having the country's safest driving.
- TOP STATE FOR QUALITY OF LIFE: Vermont was rated America's #2 "Top State for Quality of Life" by CNBC.
- HEALTHIEST: Vermont has been ranked #2 Healthiest State
2012 Regional Accolades
- HEALTHIEST: Vermont has been ranked #1 Healthiest State, four years running, and the Healthiest City for Men by Men's Health.
- BEST SKIING: Sugarbush Ski Resort, Vermont, ranked #1 for "Terrain Variety" in 2008 by Ski Magazine. Sugarbush offers deeply discounted season passes to all Champlain students.
- BEST PLACE TO LIVE: Burlington named the "Best of the Best" places to live by Men's Journal Magazine (top 5 of their "50 Best Places to Live").
- TOP HIGH-TECH METRO: Voted #11 in a list of the Top 20 High-Tech Metros by the Atlantic
- LOWEST UNEMPLOYMENT: Burlington was ranked #9 on 24/7 Wall Street's '10 Cities with the Lowest Unemployment Rate.'
- PEACEFUL: Vermont is named the second Most Peaceful Place to Live according to the US Peace Index.
- HOT AMERICAN CITY OF THE FUTURE: Burlington was ranked #11 in Business Insider's "Hottest American Cities of the Future."
2011 Regional Accolades
- BEST DOWNTOWN: Burlington was named "One of America's Best Downtowns" by Forbes Magazine.
- FOODIE PARADISE: Burlington was ranked #3 in CNBC's "Top 10 Best Cities for Foodies."
- BEST OUTDOOR RECREATION: Outdoor Magazine named Burlington one of the Top 10 Cities for Outdoor Recreation.
2010 Regional Accolades
- PRETTIEST CITY: Forbes Magazine ranked Burlington #2 out of 20 for "America's Prettiest Cities."
- A CITY FOR THE NEXT DECADE: Kiplinger's named Burlington #8 on the "10 Best Cities for the Next Decade."
- VOLUNTEER EFFORTS: The Corporation for National and Community Service named Burlington in the Top 10 cities for its volunteer efforts in America.