Fair Trade Campus
As a service-learning project with Burlington's Peace & Justice Center, students in the Environmental Policy major explored the topic of Fair Trade and how our campus could support these efforts. Picking up where they left off, Sustain Champlain student employee, Rebecca Carlson '14, spear-headed an effort to attain a Fair Trade Campus Designation. Together with the Sustain Champlain Purchasing/Food Committee, which includes our campus partner Sodexo, we proudly earned this designation in February 2014.
What Champlain is doing already:
- Fair Trade Products, such as coffee, bananas and tea, are available in the the Cafeteria, catering, and our Campus Store. See our current products offered here.
- Awareness events, such as Fair Trade, bike-powered smoothies at Spring Meltdown (April 2013); tabling event on Earth Day (April 2013); petition signing (Spring 2013); informational poster by Maggie McNamara ('16)
- Our campus dining partner, Sodexo (on the national level), signed a food chain transparency agreement with the Real Food Challenge
- As of December 2013, passed a resolution supporting fair trade
- 2015-2016, Eco-Reps and Environmental Policy students put together a petition to request a gender neutral, fair trade apparel option in the Campus Store
- As of October 2016, fair trade t-shirts are available in the Campus Store
- Together with our campus partners, we will continue to market Fair Trade products on campus, and look for additional products when feasible