Fair Trade Campus
As a service-learning project with Burlington's Peace & Justice Center, Environmental Policy students explored the topic of Fair Trade and how our campus could support these efforts. Picking up where they left off, Sustain Champlain student employee, Rebecca Carlson '14, spear-headed an effort to attain a Fair Trade Campus Designation. Together with the Sustain Champlain Purchasing/Food Committee, which includes our campus partner Sodexo, we proudly earned this designation in February 2014.
What Champlain is doing already:
- Fair Trade Products, such as coffee, bananas and tea, are available in the the Cafeteria and for catering. See our current products offered here.
- Awareness events, such as Fair Trade, bike-powered smoothies at Spring Meltdown (April 2013); tabling event on Earth Day (April 2013); petition signing (Spring 2013); informational poster by Maggie McNamara ('16)
- Our campus dining partner, Sodexo (on the national level), signed a food chain transparency agreement with the Real Food Challenge
- As of December 2013, passed a resolution supporting fair trade
- Together with our campus partners, we will continue to market Fair Trade products on campus, and look for additional products when feasible