Montreal Film Summer Program
FLM 389: Urban Indie Filmmaking (six credits)
May 18–June 17, 2023
As the vibrant cultural capital of Quebec, Montreal serves as the urban backdrop for this highly creative and immersive 6-credit Urban Indie Filmmaking course. Students will engage in all aspects of film production including screenwriting, directing, producing, cinematography, sound recording and video editing.
Enhanced by Montreal’s dynamic art scene, numerous festivals, and diverse cultural events, the Urban Indie Filmmaking course aims to foster innovative and creative projects and to nurture passionate, aspiring filmmakers. Working in small collaborative groups, students will write, produce, shoot, and edit films using professional-level equipment and facilities at our Montreal campus. Whether working in narrative fiction, documentary, or music video, you will acquire the necessary skills in the cinematic arts to begin your career as an indie filmmaker.
The Montreal Filmmaking Summer Program stresses the importance of maintaining a proactive and professional environment. This filmmaking study-abroad experience includes weekly screenings, master classes, a speaker series with industry professionals, and visits to local production companies and studios, such as Eyesteelfilm, Parafilms, 4U2C, Cineground, Framestore, and Mel’s “La cité du cinéma.” Final projects will be screened at a major independent downtown theater.
Total Cost: $5,475.00
Includes tuition, housing, activities fee, and insurance. Personal production costs not included (location fees, on-site equipment transport, catering, etc.). Students are expected to arrive on campus Thursday, May 18, 2023.
Who should consider applying?
- Current Champlain College Filmmaking students who would like to enhance their programmatic experience.
- Current Champlain College students in other programs, such as Creative Media or Broadcast Media Production, who would like an integrated filmmaking experience.
- Students in relevant disciplines at other institutions of higher education who are interested in spending a summer in Montreal honing their filmmaking skills.
Champlain College students: Minimum of 50 college credits and FLM 225 or equivalent by the start of the Summer Program.
Students from other institutions: Minimum of 60 college credits and at least one year of production courses by the start of the Summer Program. With your application, please submit a transcript from your home institution, as well as a short essay (250 words) describing your personal goals for engaging in the Montreal Filmmaking Summer Program.
- Applications are due by March 1
- Deposit of $500 due by March 15
- First payment of $2,000 due by April 15
- Balance due by May 15
- Production and editing equipment will be provided.
- You are encouraged to bring your own computer capable of editing video.