International Student Services
"Transferring Out" From Champlain College to another University
If an exchange student wishes to transfer from Champlain College to another program sponsor in the States, he or she is eligible IF:
- The purpose of the transfer is to complete the original objective for which he or she was admitted to J-1 status,
- The exchange student remains within the same J-1 category, and
- The exchange student is in valid J-1 status.
When can a J-1 student transfer out?
A J-1 student must discuss his or her transfer out date with his or her ARO. According to regulations, the ARO at the transfer-out institution will discuss any issues with the ARO at the transfer- in institution.
Procedures for School Transfer
The J-1 exchange student must:
- Make an appointment with the Assistant Director, International Student Services to discuss the transfer details.
- The Assistant Director, International Student Services will contact the ARO at the new institution to discuss the proposed transfer.
- Once the transfer has been approved verbally, obtain an acceptance letter and transfer form from the new institution (usually called a SEVIS transfer form and is available from the new school's International Student Advisor).
- Complete a Champlain College J-1 Transfer Out Form.
- Make an appointment with the Assistant Director, International Student Services and bring the above required documents to your appointment.
The Assistant Director, International Student Services will assess your situation. If all the documents are in order, she will "transfer out" your SEVIS record.