A Focused Area of Study for Broadcast Media Production Majors
Publishing is in desperate need of new ideas and new media skills. If you choose to enhance your Broadcast Media Production degree with a concentration in Publishing, you can work on real-world publishing projects and develop new media skills many established publishers lack.
The Publishing concentration is set up around the WRT 346: Publishing in the 21st Century course, a project-based class that offers real-world experience in working with clients on publishing projects that may include traditional books, ebooks, and websites. You may involve editing, design, illustration, marketing, social media, and event planning. You will also:
- learn how to conceive a publishing strategy that incorporates appropriate current technologies;
- make connections in the publishing industry with an internship;
- gain an understanding of the book production process, its sequence, and schedules;
- plan and execute team projects;
- learn professionalism by managing time, adhering to deadlines, and communicating with clients effectively and appropriately;
- learn how to select and use video and audio technology and field production equipment to produce deliverables that meet client/project demands and industry standards;
- plan and manage social media campaigns;
- learn to identify various audience segments and show evidence of being able to adapt to those audiences;
- gain a hands-on experience working with clients in the community on publishing projects and campaigns from both for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
Courses in this Concentration Currently Include:
Choose two of the following courses:
Choose one of the following courses: