A Focused Area of Study for Visual Communication Design Majors
The field of publishing is rapidly changing, and with it, publishing is in constant need of new ideas and new media skills. As a Visual Communication Design student, you can complement your degree with a concentration in Publishing, which will enhance your skills and add to your professional portfolio.
The Publishing concentration is set up around the WRT 346: Publishing in the 21st Century course, a project-based class that offers real-world experience in working with clients on publishing projects that may include traditional books, ebooks, and websites, and explores editing, design, illustration, marketing, social media, and event planning. You'll have the opportunity to:
- Gain hands-on experience working with clients in the community on publishing projects;
- Learn professionalism by managing time, materials, and information
- Gain an understanding of the print and web production process, its sequence, and schedules;
- Learn how to conceive a publishing strategy that incorporates appropriate current technologies;
- Demonstrate an effective transference of ideas;
- Determine modes of production required to achieve a specific product;
- Gain level-appropriate mastery of skills; and
- Learn how to evaluate the aesthetic content of artistic works within a specific historical, cultural, and/or commercial context.
Courses in this Concentration Currently Include:
- WRT 346: Publishing in the 21st Century
Students in this concentration will take this course twice to get immersed in as broad a range of publishing activities as possible. The projects vary by semester, so you will have different opportunities each time.
Choose two of the following courses:
Choose one of the following courses outside of your area of study: