A Focused Area of Study For Professional Writing Majors
Journalism is at a crossroads. With an ever-increasing number of digital news venues, this constantly changing and growing profession offers more opportunity than ever before. Champlain's Journalism concentration prepares you with the hands-on skills, expertise and knowledge to enter a field with enormous potential.
- Learn the fundamental skills of journalism, including interview techniques, research, and meeting deadlines.
- Write extensively in the three primary narrative journalistic forms: news, features, and news features.
- Incorporate audio, digital photography, and videography in journalistic webcasts and podcasts.
- Examine the contemporary media environment, including corporate ownership, censorship, and the issues involving privacy, freedom of expression, and public interest.
- Learn professional codes of conduct, artistic and social responsibility, and the ethics of reporting.
- Join the staff of Champlain's student-run online news source, The Crossover, giving you first-hand experience in the behind-the-scenes production process.
Courses in this concentration currently include: