Be fearless. Be strong. Live.
The Sarah Ramsey '12 Strong Scholarship Fund was established through gifts from family and friends in memory of Sarah Ramsey. The scholarship will support a sophomore, junior or senior student pursuing a marketing major, or a marketing-related minor through the Stiller School of Business. Students who wish to expand their professional and international experiences while attending Champlain College, and who demonstrate strong academic performance should consider applying for this scholarship.
The Sarah Ramsey ‘12 Scholarship is awarded annually at the Stiller School of Business Honors event to a student who exemplifies Sarah's qualities, including her drive, determination, passion for marketing, creative and critical thinking, individuality, and a thirst to experience all life has to offer. The ideal student would be one seeking a transformative experience and needs financial assistance to capitalize on opportunities that can include:
- Study abroad at a Champlain-affiliated campus that may include a work-based placement.
- Study abroad through a third-party program with emphasis on expanding cultural experiences that may also include a work-based placement.
- Intentions to complete a high-level internship with a major Marketing, Advertising, Branding or Creative firm within the United States, but not within close proximity to Champlain College or the student's home and family.
"Thanks to the generosity of Sarah's friends and family, we're excited to offer this scholarship opportunity to Champlain students," said the Ramsey family. "Our hope is that scholarship recipients will help honor Sarah's creative vision and drive by pursuing internship opportunities they otherwise could not take advantage of as part of their college experience. We look forward to learning more about their marketing and advertising career experiences when they return and share them with the Champlain community."
Criteria for Eligibility
- Student must be a rising sophomore, junior or senior pursuing a Marketing degree or marketing-related minor through the Stiller School of Business at Champlain College.
- Student must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Student must have already successfully completed an internship in their Marketing discipline.
Application Process and Requirements
- Student must submit their application no later than February 28 each year.
- Application must include:
- A short essay (not to exceed 1000 words) addressing which of the options they are applying for, how they see this experience being transformative, and how these funds will help them.
- Three letters of reference, including one from an internship supervisor and one from a professor emphasizing character, teamwork and thirst for knowledge.
- A digital portfolio of work that demonstrates a positive can-do attitude throughout their academic experience at Champlain, including a willingness to take on multiple opportunities in order to learn and practice within the Marketing arena. The portfolio should showcase exemplary work in their marketing discipline and can include strategic planning, creativity, branding, events, communication and other content that showcases their work both in and out of the classroom. Copy, visuals, concepts, analysis, storyboards, process flows are all acceptable items to submit within the portfolio. Be sure to identify clearly if these were class assignments, volunteer work, extra credit or passion projects.
- Applications must be submitted electronically to Dr. Elaine Young, Professor of Digital Marketing via her email at email@example.com no later than February 28 of the award year.
- Dr. Young, working with Margo Bartsch, Adjunct Professor of Advertising/Brand Management, and in consultation with appropriate faculty, will review the applicants and meet with the top candidates for in-person interviews. Recommendations will be sent to the Ramsey Family prior to spring break.
- The Ramsey Family will vet finalists and submit their award recommendations to Dr. Young no later than March 20 of the award year.
- Dr. Young will forward the final decision to the Stiller School of Business Dean's Office no later than March 31 of the award year.
- Scholarship will be awarded during the annual Stiller School of Business honors event, presented by Dr. Young, Stiller School faculty, or a representative of the Ramsey family.
- The scholarship funds will be split between fall and spring semesters, and will be applied to the recipient's tuition bill during the fall and spring billing periods.
Responsibility of Scholarship Winners
- Winners must demonstrate passion, drive, and fearlessness during their experience and keep a record of what they accomplish as a public blog or in written form to present with their portfolio.
- Upon returning the awardee will present their experience to the Sarah Ramsey Strong Board of Directors as well as members of the Champlain College community.
About Sarah Elizabeth Ramsey '12
As a Marketing major with a specialization in Integrated Advertising, Ramsey studied abroad in Lima, Peru, during the fall semester of her junior year at Champlain. She embarked on a promising advertising career with internships with Cloud 9 Caterers in Burlington and the Blue Hive Agency in Shanghai, China before continuing her career in New York City. In June 2013, Ramsey died tragically after being struck by a car in Brooklyn, NY.
Learn more about the Sarah Ramsey Strong Scholarship Fund here.
Sarah Ramsey Strong Scholarship Form
Want to Donate?
Secured donations can be made to the Sarah Ramsey Strong Fund online. Please indicate "Sarah Ramsey Strong" Fund at the bottom of the online form.