Be Fearless. Be Strong. Live.
The Sarah Ramsey '12 Strong Scholarship Fund was established through gifts from family and friends in memory of Sarah Ramsey. The goal of the scholarship is to support Stiller School of Business students seeking a transformative experience during their junior or senior year.
The scholarship is open to all students enrolled with a major or minor at the Stiller School of Business. Students who have demonstrated strong academic performance should consider applying for this scholarship to expand their professional and international experiences through study abroad or an overseas internship program. The Sarah Ramsey '12 Scholarship is awarded annually at the Stiller School of Business Honors event to a student who exemplifies Sarah's qualities, including her drive, determination, passion for their profession, creative and critical thinking, individuality, and thirst to experience all life has to offer. The ideal student is one in need of financial assistance to capitalize on opportunities as outlined below:
- Study abroad at a Champlain-affiliated campus that may include a work-based placement.
- Study abroad through a third-party program with emphasis on expanding cultural experiences that may also include a work-based placement.
- Completion of a high-level internship within the United States, but not within close proximity to Champlain College or the student's home and family.
"Thanks to the generosity of Sarah's friends and family, we're excited to offer this scholarship to Champlain students," said the Ramsey family. "Our hope is that scholarship recipients will continue to honor Sarah's creative vision and drive by pursuing opportunities they may otherwise not be able to experience."
Applications are due by the end of February, the scholarship is awarded in mid-April, and funds are applied for the following academic year. For example: a current sophomore should apply during their sophomore year for a junior year experience. A junior would be applying for a senior year experience. The experience does not have to be a full year, it can be for a semester.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Student must be a rising sophomore, or current junior pursuing one of the majors or minors available through the Stiller School of Business at Champlain College.
- Student must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Student must demonstrate recent work-based or internship experience.
- Student must demonstrate financial need based on FAFSA, or as determined and evaluated by the Champlain College Office of Financial Aid." Application Process and Requirements
Application Process and Requirements
- Students must submit their online application via the form no later than February 28th.
- Application must include:
- A short essay (not to exceed 1,000 words) addressing which options they are applying for, how they see this experience being transformative, and how these funds will help them.
- Three letters of reference, including one from a work-based or internship supervisor and one from a professor, emphasizing the applicant's character, self-driven thirst for knowledge and commitment to teamwork.
- A digital portfolio of work that demonstrates a positive can-do attitude throughout their academic experience at Champlain, including a willingness to take on multiple opportunities in order to learn and practice within their discipline arena. The portfolio should showcase exemplary work in their discipline and can include strategic planning, creativity, branding, events, communication, and other content that showcases their work in and out of the classroom. Copy, visuals, concepts, analysis, storyboards, and process flows are all acceptable items to submit within the portfolio. Be sure to identify clearly if these were class assignments, volunteer work, extra credit, or passion projects.
- Dr. Young, working with Margo Bartsch, Adjunct Professor of Advertising/Brand Management, and in consultation with appropriate faculty, will review the applications and meet with top candidates for in-person interviews. Recommendations will be sent to the Ramsey family prior to spring break.
- The Ramsey Family will vet finalists and submit their award recommendations to Dr. Young no later than March 20 of the award year.
- Dr. Young will forward the final decision to the Stiller School of Business Dean's Office no later than March 31 of the award year.
- Scholarship will be awarded during the annual Stiller School of Business honors event, presented by Dr. Young, Stiller School faculty, or a representative of the Ramsey family.
- For more information about the scholarship please contact Dr. Elaine Young, Professor of Digital Marketing via her email firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibility of Scholarship Winners
- Scholarship recipients must demonstrate passion, drive, and a commitment to going well beyond their comfort zone during their experience. They must also keep a record of what they accomplish in the way of a public blog or in written form to present with their portfolio.
- Upon returning, the awardee will present their experience to the Sarah Ramsey Strong Board of Directors, as well as members of the Champlain College community (SRS and Champlain website updates, newsletters, or in person at SSB student forums).
About Sarah Elizabeth Ramsey '12
As a Marketing major with a specialization in Integrated Advertising, Sarah Ramsey studied abroad in Lima, Peru, during the fall semester of her junior year at Champlain. She embarked on a promising advertising career with internships at Cloud 9 Caterers in Burlington, and the Blue Hive advertising in Shanghai, China, before continuing her career in New York City. In June 2013, Ramsey died tragically after being struck by a car in Brooklyn, NY.
Learn more about the Sarah Ramsey Strong Scholarship Fund here.
Sarah Ramsey Strong Scholarship Application Form
To begin your application, complete the form below. You will then need to send your essay, letters of reference, and portfolio to email@example.com no later than Feb 28.
Want to Donate?
Secured donations can be made to the Sarah Ramsey Strong Fund online. Please indicate "Sarah Ramsey Strong" Fund at the bottom of the online form.