Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the difference between a teaching license and an endorsement?

A. All teachers in Vermont must meet the "Core Teaching Standards for Vermont Educators" (requirements) for licensure. In addition, teachers "specialize" in a content (endorsement) area such as Science, Math, Art, Physical Education, English, Social Studies, Business Administration AND an age grouping, grades (K-12), Middle Level (5-9) or Secondary (7-12).

Q. What is the timeline of the program? What are the hours of the program?

A. TAP is an 8-month program with two intakes per year (1st intake in August, the 2nd intake in November).  Candidates should expect to be engaged from 7:30 to 3:30 five days a week with the exception of school holidays.

Q. Can I have a job at the same time?

A. It is extremely difficult to meet the requirements of the TAP leading to direct licensure while holding another job. This is a full-time commitment.  Please talk with a TAP faculty member to discuss further.

Q. What is the cost of the program?

A. The cost of the TAP program is $11,900.  A $100 application fee is required before TAP can secure a student teaching placement.  This does not include the Vermont Agency of Education's fee for licensure or the cost of Praxis exams.

Q. How am I going to pay for this program?

A. The Vermont Student Assistance Program (VSAC) may provide low-interest loans with cost of living expenses included. Also, VSAC grants are available to qualified candidates. Contact VSAC at (800) 226-1029 for more information. Other sources of funding may be the Department of Labor, or Troops to Teachers.

Q. Do I go through Peer Review?

A. No, TAP is approved by the Vermont Standards Board for Professional Educators and the Vermont Agency of Education. This allows TAP to directly recommend candidates for licensure. This is the same process followed by other approved higher institutions, such as UVM, Johnson State, or Saint Michael's College.

Q. Is there reciprocity with other states?

A. All teachers must be certified in the state in which they teach, and the requirements vary greatly between each state. Reciprocity refers to the set of agreements between states regarding what they will accept in terms of teacher licensure.  Vermont currently has educator reciprocity with all states except: New York, New Mexico, South Dakota & Wisconsin. Applicants considering teaching in a state other than Vermont should research what their state requires in terms of teacher licensure.

Q. How do TAP graduates fare on the job market?

A. We have an excellent reputation and track record in Vermont. Our most successful graduates are geographically flexible and take strong initiative to build their professional network and pursue job opportunities. Many find their first teaching positions in districts outside of Chittenden County and may accept long-term substitute opportunities. After a few years of teaching experience, they are are often well-positioned to apply for more competitive positions if they so choose. Principals tell us they are very impressed by the TAP graduates they have hired.