Are you interested in speaking on behalf of your classmates at Commencement on Saturday, May 9, 2020?
Do you believe that you can inspire and motivate the class of 2020?
If so, we encourage you to let us know you're interested by submitting a brief application (you can find the link for the app below). Do you know a fellow student who would be a great speaker? Encourage them to apply!
To be considered for Student Commencement Speaker, applicants must:
- Have earned a current GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be in good academic standing
- Have displayed good citizenship while a student
- Have demonstrated interest to speak dynamically to a large group of people
Guidelines for a Student Commencement Speech include:
- Approximately 5-7 minutes of original content
- Shared orally in front of an audience of 3,500-4,000 people in a large, expo-center-style venue
- Mindful of the audience including a diversity of graduates, families, and friends
Elements of a successful Student Commencement Speech:
- A message that inspires, encourages, and reflects the vision and hopes of the graduates
- A compelling story that incorporates your Champlain College experience (i.e. volunteering, balancing work/school, involvement in community, overcoming hurdles, taking risks, a transcendent learning experience, or others)
- A message that is substantive, meaningful, entertaining, and suitable to the occasion
- A clear and cohesive organization of ideas or messages
How to apply
We will be posting a link soon with more information on how to apply. Please check back for updated information. If you have any questions, or need additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.