Champlain College’s gender-inclusive housing community is designed to provide students with the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of diverse gender identities in a supportive and safe residential environment. This community offers students the ability to share a room regardless of their sex, gender, or gender identity. These spaces are intended to support students who question constructed identities, including gender.
Students living in the gender-inclusive housing community will grow and learn alongside members who share their interests in social issues, history, and legislation surrounding gender-inclusive policy, practices, and communities. By fostering an inclusive housing environment, Champlain College can provide students with a community that blends their personal, residential, and academic priorities into a cohesive college experience that reflects their holistic selves.
Gender-Inclusive Residence Hall Application
Returning students who are interested in living in a gender-inclusive residence hall, please complete the Gender-Inclusive Residence Hall application on THD. A first-year student option is under development. If you have any questions, please email Bridget Grim at email@example.com.
Apply for Gender-Inclusive Housing on The Housing Director (THD).
Since Fall 2016, we have provided gender-inclusive housing for students to voluntarily live in the same space regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or other constructed identity. The Department of Residential Life is continuing to offer gender-inclusive housing in an effort to support a positive campus climate and give students more options for expressing their identities throughout every facet of college life.
Gender-inclusive housing community members must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Successfully complete Safe Zone training.
- Respect all community members by maintaining a safe and comfortable living environment, free of discrimination based on characteristics including (but not limited to) race, sex, color, age, national origin, ability, sexual orientation, religion, or marital status.
- Complete the housing application process, including the gender-inclusive housing application form, and submit all necessary deposits by the appropriate deadline.
- Abide by all rules and regulations of the Residential Life catalog.
- Follow the rules outlined in the Student Code of Conduct and Student Housing Handbook.
- Contribute positively to the community.
- Respect the motivations of all community members for this option.
- Use inclusive and socially just language within and outside the living space.
- Seek to understand different experiences.
- Support social justice and diversity initiatives from within the community.
- Be accountable for one’s guests and educate them regarding community expectations and values.
Anyone who violates this agreement may be relocated to another space on campus.
- Students will be placed in a double room and must fill the room with a pull-in of their choice. In the event of a vacancy within a gender-inclusive room, the student will be able to select another pull-in. However, should that student not be able to locate another resident, Champlain College retains the necessity to maximize usage of housing options on campus and will fill the room accordingly.
- Applicants who are not selected to take part in the gender-inclusive housing will remain eligible to take part in the general Residence Life housing selection process under the usual terms and conditions of the housing selection process.
- Filling out a gender-inclusive housing application does not guarantee a specific space or gender-inclusive assignment. Admission to this living community is based upon available space.
Resources for Students
Frequently Asked Questions About Gender-Inclusive Housing
LGBTQ+ Academic and Emotional Support Resources