Phone: (802) 860-2702
First-year students live in one of the 20 beautifully restored Victorian-era mansions that ring the central campus. Once stately homes in the highly sought-after historic Hill Section neighborhood of Burlington, each residence hall maintains the gorgeous woodwork, bay windows and curved staircases of its era as well as other architectural elements from the period, yet all are thoroughly updated to include wireless access, laundry facilities and other amenities.
All Champlain College residence halls have cable television, wireless internet and access to a shared gigabit connection, and are smoke and substance free, co-ed communities.
371 Main Street / 396 Main Street /158 South Willard / Adirondack Hall / Bader Hall / Bankus Hall / Carriage House / Cushing Hall / Hill Hall / Jensen Hall / Lyman Hall / McDonald Hall / North House / Pearl Hall / Rowell Hall / Sanders Hall / Schillhammer Hall / South House / Summit Hall / Whiting Hall
This building was acquired by the college in 2012. A Victorian mansion much like our other buildings on campus, many of the rooms at 371 Main Street feature bay windows allowing an abundance of natural light to radiate the newly refurbished living spaces. Additionally, 371 Main Street features a huge common area with a pool/ping-pong table and wall-mounted television.
396 Main is a residence hall with a feeling of “home.” 396 Main is a former mansion with a lovely entry hall, foyer, large windows and gorgeous woodwork. The lounge is the focal point of the hall, where you will often find students engaged in an array of social and educational activities. There are a total of 15 student rooms with approximately 34 primarily first year students in 396 Main.
Frederick Ward built this Tudor-style house in 1902. He was a life-long banker, and was associated with the Burlington Savings Bank for 47 years. Champlain College acquired the house from his daughter in 1966. In the 90’s Champlain swapped the house with Sigma Alpha Epsilon for the fraternity's house on Summit Street. In 1999 Sigma Alpha Epsilon lost their charter and for two years Alpha Delta Pi Sorority leased the house. Champlain bought the house back in 2001 and renovated it back into a dormitory. At that time, it was decided to use its street name instead of Ward Hall.
Champlain's newest addition, 158 South Willard is located conveniently on the corner of Main Street and South Willard in the heart of Burlington's coveted Hill Section. Built in the Second French Empire style but recently renovated, the 13-bedroom mansion is full of life since becoming the home of 29 Champlain students. Residents love 158 South Willard's ornate woodwork and marble fireplaces,as well as the convenience that it offers to both Champlain's campus and many popular Burlington attractions.
A Brief History
Designed in 1877 by a local architect for General William Wells, 158 South Willard is one of over fifteen surviving Fisher buildings in Burlington. After serving in the war, Wells went on to take charge of a successful pharmaceutical business from his father, eventually expanding to have offices all over the world, including branches in London, Montreal, and Sydney. After his passing, Wells passed on his fortune to his daughter, Bertha, and her family. In 1972, University of Vermont's Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity acquired the building, but in 2017 turned it over to Champlain with a lease of up to five years.
Students love Adirondack Hall for its small, intimate setting. Part of our sophomore year experience, the building houses only twenty students in beautiful, spacious rooms. The building, a former carriage house, was recently renovated. While it now features many modern niceties such as newer furniture and air-conditioning, it still possesses its historic architecture and charm.
A Brief History
Adirondack Hall was built in 1897 for the Smith family. Charles Plympton and Anna Pease Smith resided in what is now McDonald Hall and used the Adirondack building to house their carriages. It was later converted into a residence for Levi Smith, President of the Vermont State Senate and grandfather of Charles Plympton Smith. Champlain acquired the property from the Smith family in 2004 and renovated it in 2008.
Located at the corner of Maple and South Willard streets in the center of campus, Bader Hall represents the ideal combination of size and convenience at Champlain. Since Bader is located right in the middle of campus, residents have access to a variety of college facilities just a few steps away. Primarily housing incoming students, Bader is an ideal setting for a first year student looking for a smaller community. Once used as the administrative offices for a growing Champlain College, this residence is complete with a view of the lake from its west-facing windows. The interior of the building was also newly renovated in the summer of 2012.
A Brief History
Bader Hall was constructed in 1873 and sold in that same year to Edward Lyman for $17,000. Lyman operated a dry goods store on the corner of Church and College streets. He was also prominent in many civic affairs, and held offices in banks and other corporations. Lyman died in 1890, and his daughter Minnie and her husband Robert Roberts moved in with the widow Lyman and resided there until 1940. Roberts was a partner in the law firm of Roberts and Roberts and also served as mayor of Burlington from 1899-1901 and from 1912-1913. He also served in the Vermont state legislature. When he died he left the property to the University of Vermont, which used it as a dormitory, Roberts Hall.
Bader Brouilette bought the Roberts property from UVM in 1961; it was the second building acquired as part of the expansion of Burlington Business College when it was relocated from downtown in 1958. Although it is generally assumed that President Brouilette named the building for himself, he actually chose the name Bader Hall to honor his mother, Edith Bader. The formal name of the building is Edith Bader Hall. From 1961-1981 Bader Hall served as the administration building for the college, and at one time its living room housed the College library. One notable feature of the house is an indentation in the side porch floor. Minnie Roberts required that her husband smoke his cigars on the porch, where he smoked and paced while he prepared his law cases. Eventually he wore an oval path into the floor of the porch.
Check out one of Champlain's most unique buildings. The large foyer serves as a lounge for the students who live here and the sweeping staircase makes this a place where community thrives. Bankus Hall is home to 42 students who live in eight doubles, four triples, two quads and a five person suite.
A Brief History
This is another of the Champlain College buildings that was designed by the architect A. B. Fisher. It was built in 1889 for the prominent Burlington lawyer Henry Ballard, who lived there until 1902. Frank Wells, of the Wells family that built 158 So. Willard Street and 61 Summit Street, lived there until 1916, when the house was purchased by Frank Abernethy, a local department store entrepreneur. In the 1930's the house was sold to Trinity College, which named it Mercy Hall. It was sold in 1960 to the UVM fraternity Phi Mu Delta, from whom Champlain College purchased it in 1992. The house has undergone extensive renovation since its purchase. Bankus Hall was named for John Bankus, Vice-president of Finance at Champlain College from 1965 to 1977.
Carriage House is among the smaller residence hall communities at Champlain College: 15 students reside here in three double rooms, two triple rooms and one single room. Due to its smaller size, residents at Carriage House tend to establish a strong community. Located at the end of Cedar Lane and adjacent to Schillhammer Hall, Carriage and Schillhammer share staff and resources.
A Brief History
This building, as its name implies, was built to house carriages, and later automobiles, for the Presbry family, which built 109 Summit Street. The carriage house was converted to a family home in the 1930's and acquired by Champlain College in 1994, when it served, initially, as the residence of the President of the College.
Cushing Hall is located in the center of campus and is home to 30 returning students. Formerly an academic office building, Champlain renovated Cushing Hall in 2005, making it one of Champlain’s newest, air conditioned residence halls. From Cushing, it is just a short walk to the IDX Student Life Center, dining hall, fitness center, and academic buildings. Although Cushing may not look like a Victorian era home, it is very popular because of the location and the personal privacy it offers. Students in Cushing Hall are very connected to one another. Students take it upon themselves to be welcoming and energetic about opening their rooms to other residents.
A Brief History
The land for this house was acquired in 1871, and the house built in 1872 by George Bigelow for his sisters, Susan and Elizabeth Bigelow. George Bigelow is listed as a border in the house from 1872-1883. He is identified as the Assistant Editor for the Burlington Free Press and Times in the 1870's, but later is listed as "Special Agent USPO Dept." After its use as a residence by the Bigelows, the house passed through a number of owners, including Clarence Morgan, who built Freeman Hall as a carriage barn. In the 1950's, Cushing was converted to four apartments. Champlain College purchased the house in 1962, its third acquisition in the Hill Section of Burlington, and converted it to multi-purpose use for the College. It was named to honor Ruth Cushing, Marjorie Freeman Brouilette's mother.
Newly renovated, Hill Hall is another example of the lovely turn-of-the century mansions that are now Champlain College residence halls. This air conditioned building is located on the corner of South Willard and Maple streets in the center of campus. Hill boasts beautiful woodwork and recently renovated bathrooms. Students like the friendly, homey atmosphere of Hill Hall, and they particularly appreciate the trust and respect students show each other. Hill houses approximately 39 primarily first year students.
A Brief History
Hill Hall is a twin to Lyman Hall, both of which were built by A. B. Fisher in 1884 for the Dunham brothers, successful lumber barons. John Dunham left Burlington for Albany, NY in 1892. F. E. Burgess, president of the Horatio Hickok Company, lived in Hill Hall from 1894 to 1920, when it was sold to Edward Clarkson, who had formed a partnership with Thomas Wright and Frank Abernethy. Clarkson's daughter married Ralph Nading Hill, Sr., and they raised their family in this house. It is their son, Ralph Nading Hill Jr., for whom the building was named. He was a well-known and respected Vermont author, and he wrote the first history of Champlain College, The Invisible College.
Jensen Hall, rumored to be haunted by a former occupant, is one of our most attractive and certainly one of our most highly sought after residence halls. The two-level "tower room" is one of Champlain’s best known architectural features. Jensen Hall houses approximately 38 primarily first year students.
A Brief History
Jensen Hall was designed and built in 1888 by A. B. Fisher for William Loomis. It was then sold to John Robinson, who was president of the Vermont Life Insurance Company. Walter Gates, City Editor of the Burlington Free Press, lived there from 1904 to 1938. There were several other owners, including UVM, which converted the house to a women's dormitory known as Claggett House. In April 1965, Champlain College purchased the house as its first building to be used as a residence for students. The dormitory was named for Albert Jensen, who was Bader Brouilette's partner in the purchase of Burlington Business College. Mr. Jensen died soon after BBC was acquired, but his vision for the school is memorialized in this building. There are many stories and legends about this house, including a claim that the house is haunted by the ghost of a sea captain who was one of the early owners, and whose wife liked to watch for his ship to sail into Burlington harbor from the tower. There is no evidence that this story, or the resulting ghost, is true. Jensen is, by far, one of the most beautiful dormitories on campus.
This turn of the century mansion has some of the most beautiful interior woodwork on the Champlain College campus. In nice weather students gather on the porch to visit and watch the world go by. Located next to Hill Hall, Lyman is in the center of campus. 38 residents, primarily first year students share this warm community. Lyman Hall houses approximately 38 students who live in 4 doubles, 9 triples, and 1 quad.
A Brief History
Lyman Hall is the "twin" to Hill Hall, and like that other building, was built in 1884 for one of the Dunham brothers, who were lumber barons. When the Dunhams left Burlington in the early 1890's, the house was purchased by Elias Lyman, a wealthy merchant who dealt in coal and oil, and was involved in other enterprises. He lived in the house until 1923, when it was sold to Thomas Wright of the Abernethy, Clarkson and Wright department store . There were several other owners between 1923 and 1968 when the building was acquired by Champlain College. The building was named Lyman Hall by President Bader Brouilette to honor both the family that had lived there for so long and two faculty members of the same name who had made significant contributions to the College. Lyman Hall's original garage and chauffeur residence is now used by the College at West House.
McDonald Hall is located on northwest corner of Maple and South Willard streets. McDonald features turrets, arches, a formal main stairway, and beautiful woodwork. This unique residence hall is constructed of red brick with a slate roof. McDonald Hall is a beautiful and popular residence hall and home to approximately 48 residents. You will often find residents hanging out on the front porch, engaged in frequent social and educational activities, and enjoying the front lawn on warm days. McDonald Hall houses primarily first year students.
A Brief History
This home was built for C. P. and Anna Smith in 1897. Mr. Smith was a prominent businessman and banker, whose family carried on the banking tradition. It was Mr. Smith's son, Frederick Smith, who was financial advisor to Bader Brouilette through the early years of Champlain College's development. The house remained in the Smith family until purchased by Champlain College in 1979. It was named in honor of Verne McDonald, who was Vice President for Admissions at the College from 1964 to 1989.
Located only two blocks north of the main campus, North House is one of our smaller residence halls. North House offers an ideal combination of personal privacy, comfort, and the traditional Champlain residence hall experience. The primarily first year residents of North House describe the community as warm, comfortable, homey, and intimate —living in this residence hall is just like living in a big house! North House contains approximately twenty residents. North House is a very short walk to downtown Burlington, making its location the ideal spot, nestled within a quiet neighborhood between the Champlain campus and Burlington attractions.
A Brief History
North House was designed and built by the architect A. B. Fisher for Riley Stearns, a druggist. Mr. Stearns died in 1902, but his widow continued to live there until 1917, when the house was sold to William Stone, who is listed as "retired." The next owner was the McSweeney family, which produced three Burlington physicians: Patrick, Katherine, and Douglas. In the early 1960's the house became a co-op run by Mr. and Mrs. North. When Champlain College purchased the co-op in 1966 and converted it to a residence hall, Bader Brouilette decided to leave the name as North House, to honor the couple who had provided housing for Champlain students.
Pearl Hall is literally surrounded by Champlain buildings and offers the most convenience in a residence hall for Champlain students. Pearl Hall is the closest residence hall to the fitness center, dining hall, gym, and the entire IDX Student Life Center. The primarily first year residents of Pearl describe its beautiful tile bathrooms and its large porch as creating a comfortable living space on campus. Pearl Hall is also very close to most academic buildings on campus, making it a short walk from bedroom-to-classroom!
Pearl Hall houses approximately 49, creating a great environment for meeting new people and making new friends. Pearl’s room layout is quite unique, from turret rooms to L-shapes, to corner singles, Pearl has something for everybody. Its brand new front porch is a great place to hang out with friends or to get some studying done on a warm fall day.
A Brief History
Although Pearl Hall is not at first glance as imposing a structure as some of the other properties owned by the College, it is of particular importance to the history of Burlington and of Champlain College, because this is the house that the architect A. B. Fisher built for himself in 1888. Fisher and his son, also an architect, designed the house as a simple, yet elegant Victorian home. Fisher, however, did not live in the house for very long. After his wife died in 1891, he sold the house to C. R. Turrill, secretary for the Vermont Life Insurance Company, who then sold it to H. Nelson Jackson, who bought it for his father, the Reverend Samuel Jackson, to live in. The house was inherited by Reverend Jackson's son, J. Holmes Jackson, a prominent dentist and several times mayor of Burlington. In 1937 the building was converted to an apartment house. It was leased by Champlain College as a dormitory for women students in the 1960's, when it was known as Brault House, since that was the name of the family that owned the building. It was purchased by Champlain College in 1968 and renamed Pearl Hall to honor H. Dean Pearl, former principal of Burlington High School, professor of education at the University of Vermont, and for seven years, Director of Admissions at Champlain College. Joyce Hall was also built on property that was part of this estate. Pearl Hall's original Carriage House was Pearl Annex, which was torn down to make room for the IDX Student Life Center.
Rowell Hall underwent a wonderful renovation is the summer of 2006. A Greek Revival mansion, Rowell Hall stands out as one of Champlain’s most beautiful and most sought-after residence halls. Residents of Rowell describe the rooms as beautiful and stunning. Rowell Hall houses approximately 49 first year students. Rowell Hall is an air conditioned building with large bathrooms, a refrigerator, television, and microwave. With its center-of-campus location, modest resident capacity, and attractive rooms, this hall is often the first choice for many Champlain students.
A Brief History
Since Rowell Hall was built in 1918, it does not have the classic Victorian look of most of the other houses in the area. It is, however, a beautifully designed building. The original owner, Roy Leonard Patrick, was the treasurer of the G. S. Blodgett Company, secretary of the Standard Coal and Fuel Company, treasurer of the Eastern Magnesia Talc Company, treasurer of the Woodbury Granite Company, and president of the Rock of Ages Corporation in Barre. The house remained in the Patrick family until 1953, when it was sold to the University of Vermont. It was purchased by Champlain College in 1972, and was completely renovated in 2006.
Sanders Hall features a family atmosphere where students really get to know one another. Sanders Hall features rooms of all shapes and sizes, each with its own personality. Sanders Hall is located in the heart of the Burlington hill section. Sanders Hall is a traditional center hall mansion with a recently renovated foyer and beautiful woodwork. Sanders Hall is ideal for students seeking a close community in a residence hall and convenience to Burlington’s downtown scene. Sanders Hall houses approximately thirty-nine primarily first year students.
A Brief History
Sanders Hall was built in 1865 for the Turk family, who operated a department store on College Street in Burlington for many years. The family lived in the house until 1921, when for a short time it was used as a fraternity house. It was then sold to the University of Vermont and used as a dormitory. The house was named Sanders Hall after Daniel Sanders, who was the first president of the University of Vermont. When the building was purchased by Champlain College in 1967, Bader Brouilette decided to leave the name of the building unchanged.
Schillhammer Hall is on the corner of Cedar Lane and Summit Street. Adjacent to the Miller Information Commons, this house marks the southeast corner of Champlain's campus. Residents of Schillhammer appreciate the caring, family like atmosphere. West-facing rooms offer spectacular views of the beautiful Lake Champlain. Schillhammer is home to approximately 27 primarily first year students. Many of the rooms have adjoining bathrooms.
A Brief History
The original owner of the house, Oliver O. Presbry, lived there from 1895 to 1921. The house was then occupied by various families, most notably James Cashman, Burlington City Engineer. In the late 1930's the house was converted to apartments. Champlain College purchased the house in 1994 and converted it to its current use. Champlain also purchased this building's Carriage House.
Richard Schillhammer graduated from Champlain College (then called Burlington Business College) in 1934. He founded Queen City Printers Inc. in Burlington in 1951, after working for seventeen years at the Free Press Printing Company. He retired in 1982. He has been an active community member, and joined the Board of Trustees of Champlain College in 1985, and served nine years. The Schillhammer family also boasts other Champlain graduates: son John, daughter-in-law Ann, granddaughter Shari and her husband, Randy Verge. In honor of his outstanding contribution to Champlain, East House was re-named Schillhammer Hall in June, 2008.
South House is located at the corner of Cliff and South Willard streets in a quieter, more residential part of Burlington’s hill section. Residents enjoy a big back porch and yard during warmer weather and two lounges to engage in hall activities throughout the year. South House marks the southern boundary of our main campus. South House has approximately 50 primarily first year residents. South is one of our larger residence halls, yet residents describe the community as tight-knit and close, while providing ample opportunities for meeting new people and making new friends.
A Brief History
South House was built in 1885 by Lorenzo Woodhouse, who was the treasurer of the Merchant's Bank in Burlington. He built the house next to that of his brother, C. E. Woodhouse, who was president of the same bank. The house is a good example of a colonial revival mansion. In 1910 a servants' wing was added. The house remained in Woodhouse's name until 1929, when it was sold to a series of owners and was eventually purchased by Alpha Delta Pi sorority in 1953. It was acquired by Champlain College in 1996.
Summit Hall is located in the heart of the Burlington hill section, close to the Miller Information Commons and the main campus. Summit Hall has replaced 215 South Prospect as our traditional building open during break periods, making it ideal for international students. Summit Hall boasts a large lounge which can be used for practicing and playing musical instruments, watching movies, or engaging in one of many frequent social or educational residence hall programs. Summit Hall has a large front lawn, which, during the warmer months, is great for impromptu games of Frisbee and for hall BBQ’s. This stately brick building is appreciated for its many unique rooms. Summit Hall houses approximately forty-nine residents who are a mix of returning and first year students.
A Brief History
The original part of the house was built in 1893 for University of Vermont Professor Samuel Emerson. He was the only individual owner of this house. In 1926 the house became a fraternity, and a modern wing was added to the south side of the building in 1962.
Whiting Hall is located in the heart of the residential campus on the corner of South Willard Street and Maple Street. Whiting is a Victorian-era mansion with beautiful original woodwork and three floors of student rooms. Whiting shares lawn space with McDonald Hall, and has a large front porch. On warm days, you will find residents studying under trees or playing Frisbee with their McDonald Hall neighbors! Whiting is home to approximately 40 primarily first year students.
A Brief History
Whiting Hall was probably built as a summer home for a prominent lawyer, John Drew. He died in 1879, but his widow resided there until 1888, when the house was sold to Alfred Whiting for $12,000. Whiting was the owner of a prosperous company that manufactured fibers for brushes. The Whiting family lived at this address until 1924, and then deeded the house to the University of Vermont, when it became the home for the then president of UVM, Guy Bailey. In 1942 the house became a UVM dormitory, and was called Elmwood Hall. In 1957, Frederick Smith purchased the dormitory and converted it back to private use. Champlain College purchased the house in 1967, and reconverted it to a dormitory. President Bader Brouilette decided to name it Whiting Hall in honor of the family that had resided there for so long.