Van Dora Williams
Use of Personal Media
We are all here to learn, with a limited amount of time in which to absorb as much as possible. To get the most out of your experience, please be respectful of your classmates and your instructors during class time. Electronic devices should be turned off during classes, field trips, and presentations, unless approved by an instructor to use them. When using the computers, please refrain from personal emailing, Instant Messaging, Facebook use, game playing, etc. Open Lab time is to be used to work on group projects; use this time wisely to accomplish what you need to get done.
Unless instructed to do so by an instructor, during class time the use of personal media devices such as cell phones, personal audio, hand-held game devices, and PDAs is restricted to emergency usage. It is acceptable to use these devices during the following times:
- Wake-up and breakfast
- During breaks
- During free time on field trips
- Evening free times
- Other times as designated by the program director or class instructors
If you have questions, please be sure to ask an instructor, teacher assistance, and/or resident advisor.
Moving About On- and Off-Campus
It is required that students move about campus in groups of no less than two people. No student is allowed to leave campus unless accompanied by a faculty or staff member.
In the Dorms
There is no co-ed visitation allowed in dorm rooms. Lounges and common areas are available for socializing. You are expected to be in your dorm at 10:00 p.m. each night. A student head count will take place at 11:00 p.m. and you must be in your room getting ready for bed. Overhead lights are turned out at 11:00 p.m. and desk lamps at 11:15 p.m.
Smoking and Alcohol
There will be NO use, possession, storage of, or attempt to purchase alcohol, cigarettes, or illegal substances. All of these are prohibited. Weapons of any kind (including small knifes) are prohibited on Champlain College-owned property. Students found with such materials will be removed from the program and may be subject to criminal charges.
You agree to adhere to the following guidelines and rules during your time at Champlain College:
- I will follow the daily schedule of the Academy and arrive on time for all activities.
- I will respect the rights of others.
- I will respect, protect, and not misuse personal, private, or public property. I understand that Champlain College and the program are not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- I will not take part in any alcohol, drug, or tobacco use under any circumstances.
- I will inform the staff of any kind of medication, prescription or non-prescription, that I am presently taking.
- I will immediately report any health problem to the staff.
- I will not leave the Champlain College campus during the program, except for supervised group field trips.
- I will be in my room by 10:00 p.m. and quiet by 11:00 p.m. or immediately after the night's planned activity.
- I agree that there will be no co-ed visitation in dorm rooms. Lounges and common areas are available for socializing.
- I will abide by the rules of conduct established by the Faculty & Residential Assistants of the program.
- I will follow any rules not explicitly stated here but mentioned/told to me by a program instructor, teaching assistant, and/or resident assistant.
- I will read the Behavioral Guidelines included on this website, review them with my parents or guardians, and abide by them for the duration of my stay at Champlain College.