Van Dora Williams
Drop Off / Registration
Saturday, July 11th 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Check-in and registration will take place in the lobby of Whiting Hall on the Finney Quad off of S. Willard Street (Residential Building G on the campus map--use the link below to download a copy). You will be assigned a room, issued a key and escorted to your room to get settled in. A $20.00 deposit will be collected at this time, to be refunded when your room key is returned upon departure on July 26th. Parking is available behind Skiff Hall & Skiff Annex (Building 2 on the campus map)
At 2:30 p.m. we will gather for a Group Orientation Session in the Center for Communication & Creative Media (CCM), Room 442 (#13 on the map). Parents are welcome to stay for part or all of orientation, which will run until approximately 3:30.
You will be spending a lot of your time working at the Center for Communication & Creative Media (CCM) or the S.D. Ireland Family Center for Global Business & Technology. Most meals will be served in the Dining Hall at the IDX Student Life Center (building #11 on the map).
What To Bring:
Your dorm room will have a pillow, sheets, a blanket and towels. Some students find bringing a familiar pillow and/or extra throw blanket makes the space more comfortable during their stay.
- $20 room key deposit (refunded when your room key is returned at check-out)
- Casual clothing: jeans, shorts and t-shirts are fine.
- Sweatshirt for cool nights
- You will need 1 nice outfit for field trips. Think business-casual: a collared shirt will work for males or females, or females may opt for a skirt or dress.
- Swimsuit / Beach towel / Sunscreen
- Footwear is required at all times, sandals are fine for most of the time
- Shoes you are comfortable hiking in
- Raincoat/Umbrella (optional)
- Shower Shoes
- Toiletries/Personal Items
- Hair dryer
- Backpack or large tote bag
- Pens, Pencils, Notebook
- Musical instrument, favorite board or card games, juggling objects...fun stuff for free time!
- Cell phone for staying in touch
- Alarm clock ( or cell phone alarm)
- Digital Camera (optional)
- A Flash drive (optional) or Google Drive/iCloud storage space
- Spending money (for extra snacks, souvenirs or the campus bookstore, if desired)
- Laundry facilities are available in the dorm, if desired. Consider bringing laundry detergent and quarters for coin operated washer/dryers - $1.25 per load
Closing Ceremony & Departure
Sunday, July 26th
Students will be moving out of Whiting Hall anytime before 10:00am. We will conduct a dorm inspection at 10:00 a.m. and any articles left behind will be transported to the closing ceremony so that they can be retrieved before departure.
11:00a.m. The Academy will conclude with a reception, final presentations, and a closing ceremony in the Champlain Room of the Center for Communication & Creative Media (building #13 on the campus map), 3rd floor. Parents, friends and family are welcome to join us!