Online MBA Admission Requirements
An Admission Process Designed for Adult Students
At Champlain College Online our comprehensive admissions process is designed to take into account your whole story. We are interested in your previous academic record, but because we know you have much more to bring to the table as a working adult, we also consider your current and previous work experiences, as well as your personal and professional goals.
Our admissions team seeks to admit graduate-level students who:
- Demonstrate a solid academic foundation. A minimum of 2.5 GPA is our recommendation, though exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for those who demonstrate a potential for academic success in other ways.
- Possess an aptitude for success in an online learning environment.
- Exhibit the ability to make a positive contribution to the Champlain online community.
Graduate Application Requirements
The following list of admission requirements must be completed and submitted to our admissions team before any student may be considered for acceptance to a Champlain College Online graduate degree or certificate program.
The first step in applying to an online program at Champlain College is to begin your online application. You'll need to create an account and follow the step-by-step instructions. There is no fee to apply.
Within the online application, you'll be required to prepare an essay. The essay is made up of four questions and the topics take into account your personal and professional goals, your ability to persist when challenged and your approach to online learning. For each essay question, you will be asked to prepare 3-4 paragraphs that demonstrate to the reviewers that you understand the question, are thoughtful in your response and can demonstrate critical thinking and college-level writing ability.
Official academic transcripts are required for any post-secondary coursework you have completed and all colleges and universities you have previously attended, whether or not a degree was conferred. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a recognized equivalency service. Learn more about our international student requirements here. Request that all transcripts be sent directly to Champlain College Online via mail, email or fax. For students who are still completing their undergraduate degree, we have a Provisional Admittance policy that may apply to you.
You will need to submit a copy of your professional resume, which should include both your current and previous employment and work experiences. Your resume should be mailed, emailed or faxed to Champlain College Online.
Letter of Recommendation
You are required to submit one professional letter of recommendation from someone who can assess your capabilities as an employee and/or student, preferably a supervisor or manager. Your letter of recommendation should be mailed, emailed or faxed to Champlain College Online.
Proof of English Language Proficiency
Proficiency in the English language is both required and necessary for academic success at Champlain College Online. If English is not your native language, you will be required to demonstrate proficiency. Learn more about our international student requirements here.
GMAT & GRE
The GMAT & GRE are NOT a required part of the application process.
Work Experience Requirement
We expect that applicants have at least 2 years experience and current employment in a professional work environment with opportunities for applying new skills. Applicants with limited work experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note, if you are planning to complete the Health Care Administration Certificate for the MBA, you are expected to have a minimum of 2 years experience or current employment in a healthcare setting with opportunities for applying new skills in the health care field.
Bachelor's Degree Requirement
To be eligible for the MBA degree program or any of the business graduate certificates, we require that you hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with at least a 2.5 GPA, or equivalent. The goal of our admissions process is to insure you can be successful in our MBA program. If your bachelor's degree is not in business or management you may be required to:
- Add MGMT 525 Managing Organizational Risk. This course is graduate level content, but the assignment detail and strong feedback will increase your likelihood for success as you begin the MBA core courses.
- Develop strong accounting skills. See details below about how you may accomplish this.
- Enroll and successfully complete MBA-507: Survey of Accounting for Managers; successful completion means you must receive a grade of "B" or higher in this course.
- Test Out of MGMT 230: Financial Systems for Management or ACCT 130: Financial Accounting: For this option, you will gain access to this Champlain College Online undergraduate level course lessons and readings, and you will be required to demonstrate competency by completing several assignments and a final project. These are self-taught online courses that must be completed within a 15-week period, and are ideal for students who believe they may already have some competency in financial accounting. The cost to test out is $150 per course. This fee is not financial-aid eligible and will not be refunded if you do not successfully complete the test out process.
- Complete a similar financial accounting course at your local college or another institution. Upon successful completion of a financial accounting course with a grade of "B" or higher, you will need to supply documentation supporting your completion and then you will be enrolled in the MBA core courses.
Depending on which course(s) you are asked to take, total credits in the program may be between 42 and 36.
Do you already have a demonstrated proficiency in this area? Just provide proof of one of the following with your admission package to be evaluated by our Program Director:
- Previous college coursework in financial accounting
- Professional certifications in financial accounting
- On the job training
Please note, if you are planning to complete the Accounting Certificate for the MBA, you are expected to hold a bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
Applicants Educated Abroad
Students educated outside of the United States and Canada seeking admission to Champlain College Online will need to visit our International Admissions Requirements page to learn about our English proficiency requirement, as well as our international transcript evaluation process. Learn more.
We look forward to welcoming former Champlain College students back! Whether you studied as an undergraduate student on the Champlain College campus or took Champlain College courses online, we are eager to talk to you about your next steps in returning to school. Keep in mind, if you have not taken online classes in over a year, you will need to reapply to the program. Contact our admissions team through our web form or at 888-545-3459 to learn more.
Nondiscrimination Statement: Champlain College, in compliance with Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education amendment of 1972, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, or physical handicap in any of its policies, practices, or procedures.