The BYOBiz Scholarship Program was established to support incoming first-year students that either have developed and launched their own business or have an aptitude for entrepreneurship. The BYOBiz scholarship awards range from $3,000 up to $10,000 per year based on the applicant's submission and the quality of their academic profile.
Applications for admission to Champlain College and the required materials for the BYOBiz Scholarship must be submitted by the following deadlines.
Admissions & BYOBiz Scholarship Submission Due
- Early Decision I: November 15
- Regular Decision: January 15
Back to Top
How to Apply
- If you haven't already, submit an application for admission to Champlain College.
Champlain College Application
- Submit an official high school transcript, results of the SAT or ACT examination, two letters of recommendation, and an essay to the Champlain College Admissions Office.
- Complete one of the following BYOBiz scholarship application requirements via SlideRoom
- Business Plan Executive Summary: Submit a business plan executive summary for a business idea you would like to pursue in the future. If you haven't prepared an executive summary for your business yet, just tell us about the business, including your thoughts on any or all of the following topics:
- The business concept, its mission and what excites you about it.
- Briefly describe your primary customer, the problem your business will be solving for that customer, and the ways in which your solution will be superior to other alternatives.
- Briefly describe the skills, experiences, passion you will contribute to the business' success.
- Briefly describe the other members of your team and their roles, either currently on board or planned.
- Identify the anticipated competition to your business and how you plan to compete.
- Briefly describe how you plan to reach prospective customers and how you will convince them try and to use your product or service.
- Briefly describe how you will produce and distribute the product or service to your customers - online, retail, etc.
- Briefly describe the simple business model, i.e. how will the business make money and become sustainable?
- How much capital do you estimate will be needed to launch and grow the business?
- Reflective Essay: Write an essay that helps us understand you better as a potential entrepreneur. You may decide to include any or all of the following:
- Discuss the attributes, characteristics and skills of an entrepreneur which you feel describe you now, or which you feel you can acquire with practice and experience?
- Which do you feel are ones that you will grow into at college?
- Tell about your experience(s) in entrepreneurial activity. It could be an actual business, social cause, or some endeavor that you believe was entrepreneurial.
- Describe how you hope to contribute to the entrepreneurial environment at Champlain.
- Other: With approval from the BYOBiz Director, Mr. Robert Bloch, students can submit an alternative submission that demonstrates either their business success or evidence of their potential as an entrepreneur. This may come in the form of a documentary, an interactive experience, a film script or any other medium that communicates the student's vision and potential. In addition, students can request that an interview be their submission. The interview needs to be with Mr. Bloch and one other member of the scholarship committee. Students should contact Mr. Bloch at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Back to Top
- Only applicants admitted to Champlain College will be eligible to receive a BYOBiz scholarship.
- Students will be notified of the award upon their admission to Champlain College.
- The scholarship award will be indicated in the students financial aid award
- The BYOBiz scholarship is renewable annually based on the student's satisfactory academic progress and the award may only be applied toward the cost of attendance at Champlain College.
- Priority consideration for one of the scholarship awards will be given to a member of the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) in good standing.
- All applicants to Champlain College are also required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if they wish to be considered for need-based financial aid or scholarships.
Back to Top