Changing Levels in F-1 status

A Change of Level, or COL, is a change in your level of education and program while you are at your current school.

For example, you are going to graduate from Champlain College, but you have been accepted to and want to attend one of the master's programs also at Champlain College the next semester. Before you graduate, you want to change your current bachelor's Form I-20 to an initial master's Form I-20.

You may request a Change of Level from the Assistant Director, International Student Services for a higher level, the same level or after OPT has been completed. The Change of Level process is almost the same as the Transfer process, except you must have your request to change levels to Assistant Director, ISS either BEFORE you graduate from your current program or no later than 60 days after your current Form I-20/OPT end date. Please also note that post-completion OPT terminates on the new program start date.

Required Documents

  • Acceptance Letter from a Champlain College master's program
  • New Financial Documents for the new program of study

Change of Level Procedures

  1. Apply and get accepted to a Champlain College graduate program.
  2. Gather new financial documents which prove that you can support the new program of study.
  3. Make an appointment with the Assistant Director, ISS and bring all the completed required documents with you.
  4. She will look over your documents. If all documents are in order, she will process a Change of Level Pending Form I-20 for you in SEVIS.
  5. The Assistant Director, ISS will register you in SEVIS at the start of the new semester, complete your Change of Level in SEVIS, and issue you a "Change of Level Completed" Form I-20.