J-1 On Campus Employment

Federal regulations require that J-1 exchange students obtain authorization in writing and in advance of their employment start date from their sponsor for all employment, including on-campus employment.

This is very different from F-1 students whose on-campus employment is incidental to their status in the United States.

To be eligible for on-campus employment at Champlain College, a J-1 exchange student must be:

  1. In good academic standing by having a cumulative G.P.A of 2.0, and
  2. Engaged in a full course of study.

If approved by the RO/ARO, a J-1 exchange student may work no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. If approved, during campus breaks and vacations, a J-1 exchange student may work up to 40 hours a week.

At Champlain College, authorization for on-campus employment must be obtained every semester.

A J-1 exchange student seeking authorization for on-campus employment should do the following steps:

  1. Find a job on-campus
  2. Obtain an offer of employment
    Students should obtain a letter or other proof of employment from their employer. The letter should be signed and appear on the department's letterhead.
  3. Visit OIE to request On-Campus Employment J Visa Authorization Form
    After finding a job and obtaining proof of employment, J-1 students should visit your Assistant Director, International Student Services to request an On-Campus Employment J Visa Authorization Form. This is a pink form and is not valid until it has been signed.
    In addition, while you are at OIE, the Assistant Director, International Student Services must report your on-campus employment in SEVIS. An updated DS-2019 will be printed for you to sign and keep with the rest of your documents.
  4. Begin working or apply for a Social Security Number
    If you are renewing your On-Campus Employment Authorization Form, you can begin working immediately.
    If you have never worked in the US before, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number. The Assistant Director, International Student Services will assist you with the process of obtaining your Social Security Number. To get started, please visit our Social Security Numbers and Cards for International Students Page.