Greening Your Workplace
Interested in making your workplace practices more environmentally friendly? Learn more below. Already put these in practice? Get your Workplace Green Certified by Sustain Champlain. Sustain Champlain and the student Eco-Reps designed the Green Office Certification to give recognition to Champlain employees' efforts in creating a more environmentally friendly work environment. There are two levels that increase in difficulty and points. By evaluating all the actions that apply to you and your individual workspace you can reach Basic Certification or Platinum certification, based on responses to applicable questions, and receive increasing levels of acknowledgment. Platinum level requires a brief visit from an Eco-Rep.
- Basic Certification: Sticker to post on your door/window, 1 entry into raffle
- Platinum Certification: Sticker to post on your door/window, & 2 entries into raffle
Raffle is held at the end of the school year. To get your Green Workplace Certification, complete this form.
Waste & Recycling
- Test Your Trash Literacy and then get the full details of what goes where
- Use a Kuerig? Order Your KCup Recovery Boxes
- Have a copier/printer? Use the Free Symquest Cartridge Return. They won't take it back? You can drop them off in the copy room in the basement of Skiff, 2nd floor mailroom at Lakeside or the Helpdesk office in Rowell Annex. Please - no tube-toners (those just go in the trash).
- Set all computers to double-sided, black & white printing as the default setting
- Send all reusable packing material to the mailroom to be reused
- Have office supplies you no longer need? Contact us and we can advise on where to send them.
- Continue to cut down on paper usage by digitizing processes
- Host events? Follow these suggestions to make them more eco-friendly
- Got Junk Mail? Stop unwanted mail by using CatalogChoice
- Reduce single occupancy vehicle (SOV) trips by utilizing our many transportation options
- Challenge your team to participate in the annual Way to Go Challenge
- Get a departmental membership with CarShare Vermont
- Turn lights off at end of the day
- Enable sleep mode on all copiers, printers, and fax machines, and make sure they are turned off at end of the day
- Put monitors, printers, and other accessories on a power strip/surge protector. When this equipment is not in use for extended periods, such as overnight, make sure the power strip is turned off
- If problems exist regarding overheating or overcooling of office space, submit a SchoolDude work request to Physical Plant to report issue
- Shut all windows tightly during cold and hot weather. Where possible, lower storm windows in the winter
- Shut window blinds to trap heat and keep out the cold during the winter, and to trap in cold and keep out heat in the summer
- Enforce the College policy that does not allow the use of personal space heaters at desks
- Create an ordering system that minimizes the number of office supply deliveries to your office to twice per month or less
- Have a centralized location to store office supplies so that they can be shared between teammates
- For printing and copying, purchase paper with at least 30% post-consumer recycled content (which is our best priced paper anyway)
- When purchasing office supplies through WBMason, search for products with recycled-content material
- Order fair trade and/or organic coffee and tea
- If we do giveaways from our office/department, we consider selecting items that are pratical, recycled or organic content, or give the gift of an experience. See this list for specific suggestions.
- Have clearly marked recycling, compost and trash bins such as in kitchens, break rooms, conference rooms, mailrooms, and copy rooms.
- Use reusable plates, cups, and silverware (along with a means to wash them)
- Do not supply disposable cups near water filtration units or water coolers. If you do supply them, ensure that they can be recycled or composted (depending on material) and appropriate bins are located in that area
- Report water leaks by submitting a SchoolDude work order
- Stay updated with Sustain Champlain by subscribing to the blog
- Volunteer to be on an Event Green Team
- Participate in the May Retreat Service Day
- Participate in Interculatural U
- See other suggestions on how to get involved with Sustain Champlain