Mission, Value, and Outcomes Statement:
The Champlain College Swap Shop aims to provide a welcoming forum for members of our campus community to donate, exchange, and take home items free of charge. We are committed to environmental and economic justice, recognizing that there can never be an assumption of someone's financial or life circumstances and that every person should have adequate access to basic amenities, such as clothing and food, as part of their personal journey towards a dignified existence. All of our items are gleaned from donations, waste collection days, and community partnerships as a way to both divert waste from landfills and educate members of the campus community about creative ways to repurpose items. Campus community members will be provided with workshops and tools for repurposing, and through this upcycling and recycling of materials, we aim to demonstrate an ecological understanding of, and deep gratitude for, the earth's finite resources.
- to divert otherwise unwanted materials from the landfill
- to have a space where the Champlain Community can find items they need for free/swap (clothing, books, games, small housewares)
- to have a space to host upcycling/craft workshops
Location: Skiff 011
Fall 2016 Semester Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm on a self-service model. Please turn off the lights when you leave. Students will be monitoring the space on a daily basis.
To make a donation: please leave near the desk in the Swap Shop (Skiff 011). See our accepted donation list below.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Swap Shop list of allowed donation items:
CLOTHES: Must be CLEAN, without stains. No torn fabric, please. Try making simple repairs before donating.
SHOES: Wearable shoes
NO OPENED PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS If the item suggests contact with the body, cannot be washed, is open, DO NOT DONATE!! For example hairbrushes, combs, makeup, body lotion (even if unopened), sitz bath, bandages, etc
SEASONAL DECORATIONS ARE WELCOME
- Glasses, bottles, vases, mugs, china - Must be intact. NO NICKS, NO BREAKS.
- No items with missing lids
- NO sheets or bedding
- If donating lamps, they MUST BE WORKING. Nothing with missing plugs. Make sure a bulb is available for testing.
- No large hanging chandeliers or ceiling fans
FURNITURE: NO furniture (with cloth)
- PORTABILITY is the key here.
- MUST be less than 5 years old.
JEWELRY: No earrings
NO ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS.
TOYS: Clean and in good condition
BOOKS & MAGAZINES VIDEOS, CDS, VHS TAPES
NO LUGGAGE - handbags and briefcases are OK
NO PLANTS - GARDEN OR HOUSE
NO ELECTRONICS unless small AND IN WORKING CONDITION e.g., clock-radios
NO COMPUTER MONITORS OR LARGE TVS