The Department of Defense (DOD) offers TA to service members in all branches and components of the U.S. armed services. Each branch/component has specific TA limits and application procedures. Prior to enrolling at Champlain College, you must speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your respective service (typically located at your installation’s education center) and receive approval to use TA.

Champlain College is a signatory of the DOD Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU), which is an agreement between the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness and educational institutions. DOD policy requires educational institutions that wish to participate in the DOD TA Program to sign an MOU conveying the commitments and agreements between the educational institution and DOD prior to an educational institution receiving funds from a service’s TA program. The memorandum and a list of educational institutions that have signed can be found at

    1. You must receive approval from your Education Services Officer (ESO) or education counselor prior to enrolling in courses at Champlain. Do not enroll in courses until you have this approval.
    2. Meet with your admissions advisor and enroll at Champlain.
    3. Submit our certification request form. Please note the form does not always work on government computers so you will want to access the form from a private device or computer.
    4. Student Accounts will bill your military branch through its education services portal.
    5. Contact your ESO for any further questions or clarification.
  • Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use TA to complete a degree program while on active duty and don’t plan to continue your education after service. Top-Up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then you can save most of your GI Bill benefits for after service to complete your education program.

    Tuition Assistance Top-Up Program

    GI Bill Comparison Tool

  • Students who receive financial aid in excess of their bills will be issued a refund in September and/or February. The refund will only be issued after the funds have been received by the College and the student’s enrollment has been confirmed-usually the third Friday after semester classes begin.

    Get more information about our refund policy

  • A new DoD Postsecondary Education Complaint System (PECS) landing page has been implemented and provides pertinent information concerning the PECS complaint process, as well as access to the PECS intake form. If you or your family member receives tuition assistance or is a Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Scholarship recipient, you are encouraged to submit feedback.

    You may submit a complaint if your school is failing to follow the Principles of Excellence. This initiative is designed to empower you and your family members to report misleading or unfair actions by education institutions. Examples of education-related issues may include, but are not limited to, misrepresentation or deceptive actions concerning multiple unsolicited phone calls or emails used as a high-pressure recruitment tactic, false representation about degree programs, misleading statements regarding accreditation or promoting costly private or institutional loans.

Request for VA GI Bill/Vermont National Guard Tuition Benefit Program Education Benefits

Information To Assist In Your College Decision

Please see our military and veteran financial and consumer information page for the information you need to make a decision about pursuing a college degree.