Your Guide to Federal Work-Study

If you've been awarded Federal Work-Study as part of your Financial Aid Award package, please read and follow these steps to begin the work-study process.

Getting Ready for Your Work-Study Job


Check your Champlain MyMail account regularly for reminders and updates. All communication about the Federal Work-Study Program will arrive via email to your Champlain College MyMail account.


Gather the necessary ID for completion of the federal I-9 form. In order to complete your I-9 form, the Department of Homeland Security requires specific ID that establishes both identity and employment authorization. Review this list of acceptable identification and bring it with you to campus; photocopies are not accepted. You will not be able to begin work without this ID.


Search for a job. Detailed, step-by-step instructions for logging into and using Handshake will be sent to your Champlain MyMail account in mid-August. You can also preview the instructions now.


Complete onboarding. Once you've been hired, you'll receive an email from Workday (, the College's hiring and time-entry system, that will include a link to onboarding. Complete all the forms in onboarding, including the online section of the federal I-9 form, and then bring the required ID (no photocopies) to the Compass Student Services, located on the first floor of Perry Hall.


Receive "Student Can Begin Working" email. You and your supervisor will receive an email from Workday stating that you may begin to work. (Do not start working until you receive this email.) If you do not receive this email within three business days of being hired, contact your supervisor.


Start working!

Got Questions (not covered in this guide)?

  • Regarding your award: Office of Financial Aid
  • Searching for a job/using Handshake: Career Collaborative
    • Email our representative: Angela Hyldburg
    • Call us at 802.651.5821
    • More resources
  • Workday/onboarding/I-9 completion/time entry: Compass Student Services