doctor in a clinic doing a routine exam

Health Services

We work with all degree-seeking students taking classes on campus, to meet their specific health care needs through preventative, diagnostic, therapeutic, and rehabilitative care.

Receiving Care

All care provided at the Student Health Center comes at no cost to you. Our services are included in your tuition.

However, if your care moves beyond the Student Health Center, you may be asked to make a payment. Examples of this include: specimens (e.g. urine or blood) sent to the lab for diagnostic testing, prescriptions sent to a pharmacy, and referrals to specialists in the community, the Emergency Room, or Urgent Care clinics. The cost of this care will depend on your individual insurance plan. We recommend contacting your insurance carrier to learn about your coverage.

Additional Support Services:

  • Emergencies: Call 911
  • Safety Concerns: Call Campus Public Safety at (802) 865-6465
  • Immediate Mental Health Support: Call the 24/7 On-call Counselor at (802) 865-5745
blood pressure cuff on a patient

Services Offered

The Student Health Center is staffed by Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, and a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. We offer a variety of primary care and acute care services, including help with infections, illnesses, injuries, chronic health issues, medication management, screening and prevention, and more.

  • Our acute care services include evaluation, diagnostic testing, treatment, and specialty referral (when clinically indicated), and education for self care. Check out our tips on how to take care of yourself when you are sick. Services include treatment of:

    • Respiratory infections (congestion, cough)
    • Fever
    • Sprains
    • Musculoskeletal pain
    • Wound care
    • Concussions
    • Abdominal pain
    • Urinary tract infections
    • Rashes
  • Our Nurse Practitioners and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners provide psychiatric medication management and care for a variety of mental health diagnoses. We often work collaboratively with the Counseling Center, and other home psychiatric providers to coordinate care. Please visit the Counseling Center website if you would like to learn more about counseling services, or schedule a counseling appointment. This includes:

  • We offer holistic nutritional counseling and give students support who are struggling with disordered eating patterns while promoting body positivity. This includes:

    • Basic nutrition counseling
    • Support for restrictive and binge eating
    • Specialist referrals when clinically indicated
  • We work closely with a student’s primary care provider or specialist who is managing the health condition, and can make additional referrals when clinically indicated. Students can receive care for a variety of chronic and recurrent conditions, including:

    • Asthma
    • Migraines
    • Diabetes
    • Acne
    • Celiac Disease
  • We offer affirming and non judgmental sexual and reproductive health services to students of all genders, sexual identities, and sexual experiences. This includes:

    • Contraceptive services
    • Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing and treatment (see below)
    • Pregnancy testing
    • Pelvic exams
    • LGBTQIA+ and gender affirming care
    • Women’s health
    • Men’s health

Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) Testing

You can get tested and treated for sexually transmitted infections at the Student Health Center. See your testing options:

    • We will collect a sample here and send it to the UVM Medical Center to be tested in their lab.
    • We will collect your insurance information here in the office before you leave that day.
    • UVM will then bill your insurance directly. If insurance is not provided, you will be billed directly. If you are on a family member’s insurance plan, it is important to know that no lab results will be released to them. However, the insurance company may send them an Explanation of Benefits (EOB), which could compromise your confidentiality.
    • Additionally, we are not able to verify whether your insurance provider will pay for the lab testing. Many insurance companies do, but some do not. Coverage depends on your individual insurance plan. If you are concerned about potential cost, please contact your insurance company directly via the phone number on the back of your insurance card.
    • You will self-pay the fee for testing. The costs vary by type of test.
    • Once we receive the results from the VDH, we will contact you directly using your preferred method of communication.
    • We can refer you to the Pearl Street Youth Center, where ALL students are eligible for a visit and testing free of charge.
    • This is a great option, but it does require scheduling and attending an appointment off campus. You’ll be established as a new patient at the time of your appointment.

    Phone Number: (802) 652-1080

    • We can refer you to Planned Parenthood of Burlington, where ALL students are eligible for a visit. They will bill your insurance if you have a health insurance plan.
    • This is a great option, but it does require scheduling and attending an appointment off campus.

    Phone Number: (802) 863-6326

Sexual Violence Care

We offer confidential, trauma-informed care for students who have had non-consensual sexual encounters. We strongly encourage you to seek immediate medical care, either at the Student Health Center or the Emergency Room. The Student Health Center can provide:

  • Supportive and comprehensive medical evaluations
  • Forensic Nurse Exam conducted by a certified Forensic Nurse Examiner (FNE)
  • Sexually Transmitted Infection testing and prophylactic treatment
  • Mental health resources
  • Intimate partner violence support
  • Connection to HOPE Works advocacy
  • Guidance on how to access Title IX & Sexual Misconduct reporting resources
  • If you have experienced sexual assault or non-consensual sexual encounters, we encourage you to seek immediate medical attention, even if you’re not sure if you have any physical injuries. Although you may not feel physical pain, you may have internal injuries that cannot be immediately seen or felt. We encourage you to get medical attention whether or not you want to have evidence collected. The medical staff at the Student Health Center on Champlain College campus and the nearby University of Vermont Medical Center can provide care for any physical injuries you may have sustained, can test for sexually transmitted infections and/or pregnancy, and provide an examination by a trained Forensic Nurse Examiner (FNE).

  • We encourage you to seek the services of a FNE immediately following an experience of sexual trauma, as certain kinds of evidence collection, including toxicology testing, is time sensitive. A FNE exam is conducted by a professional with special training in working with individuals who may have experienced sexual trauma of all kinds. They can care for injuries, test and provide prophylaxis for sexually transmitted infections and/or pregnancy, and collect forensic evidence (if requested). In addition, you will be offered mental health care and resources.

    You do not have to be certain that you have experienced sexual trauma to request a FNE exam or any other kind of medical or emotional care. The FNE can help you discuss options for reporting. You have the right to have someone with you during this exam including an advocate from HOPE Works. FNE exams are free of charge and will be covered by the state of Vermont.

  • Even if you are not sure about reporting your experience to Champlain College, pressing charges with the police, or obtaining a protective order, you can preserve the option of reporting later by having evidence collected. You can discuss your options directly with the FNE.

    In most cases, DNA evidence needs to be collected within 72-120 hours in order to be analyzed by a crime lab—but a sexual assault forensic exam can reveal other forms of evidence beyond this time frame that can be useful if you decide to report. Place your belongings, including the clothes you were wearing, in a paper bag to safely preserve evidence.

    If you have questions about the timeframe, you can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-4673 or contact HOPE Works in Burlington at (802) 863-1236.

    Source: What Is a Rape Kit?

  • During open hours, students can call the Student Health Center to arrange for a FNE exam as soon as possible. If a campus FNE is unavailable, students will be directed to the University of Vermont Medical Center Emergency Room, which also has nurses trained and certified as FNEs. It is recommended that you call the emergency room in advance and ask for them to arrange to have a FNE available: (802) 847-2434. Champlain College’s Campus Public Safety staff can transport you to the ER and will not require you to disclose the reason you are seeking care.

Outreach & Education

Presentations and other collaborations are offered to Champlain students in a variety of settings. We accept requests submitted by students, faculty, and staff.

Please fill out our form to request an interview, assistance with a school project, or support with RA (Resident Advisor) programming. We must have a minimum of three weeks advance notice to consider your request. We will be in touch within two business days after receiving the request form.

Outreach Request Form

Make an Appointment

The Student Health Center offers care by appointment. Please call, email, or use the patient portal to schedule an appointment.

Phone: (802) 860-2711
Patient Portal:
 Log in here with your Champlain College credentials.

Make an Appointment

Student Health Center

Ground Level of Whiting Hall
203 S. Willard Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Summer months: Closed
Academic year:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM
Closed daily from 12:00–1:00 PM