students walking on campus

Frequently Asked Questions

We know that both students and their families have questions about accessing health care on the Champlain campus. We’ve compiled a list of the questions we hear the most and answered them here for you.

Student FAQs

  • Please visit our Care for Respiratory Illness page. If you still have questions, don’t hesitate to call or email us.

  • Appointments at the Student Health Center are included in tuition for all degree-seeking students taking classes on campus. You do not have to pay for an appointment.

    If your care goes beyond the Student Health Center, there typically is a cost. Whether or not and how much you have to pay will depend on your individual insurance. We encourage you to contact your health insurance provider to learn about your coverage and potential costs.

    Examples of when care leaves the Student Health Center and cost may be associated with care:

    • We submit lab work, such as a urine or blood specimen, to a medical lab for testing and results.
    • We send a prescription to a local pharmacy.
    • We refer you to a specialist in the community.
  • Yes.

    Due to the volume of students we see, services are offered by appointment. We encourage you to make an appointment if you have a health concern.

    If you walk-in and we happen to have appointment availability at the same time or soon after, we will gladly see you. Otherwise, we will schedule you to return for the next available appointment.

    You can make an appointment in person, by telephone, via email, or through the Patient Portal.

  • Mental health counselors are available for general mental health appointments. For more information about how to schedule an appointment at the Counseling Center, see the Counseling Center website.

    If you are currently in a situation in which you feel unsafe, call Campus Public Safety at (802) 865-6465 or call 911. If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, call the 24/7 On-Call Counselor at (802) 865-5745.

    Howard Center First Call for Chittenden County provides 24-hour, 7-days a week emergency services for adults experiencing emotional or psychiatric crises. Howard Center First Call for Chittenden County: (802) 488-7777.

  • The Student Health Center sponsors flu vaccine clinics during the fall semester. If you cannot make it to or have missed our clinic, you can receive a flu vaccine at a local pharmacy or through your primary care provider.

  • Yes.

    If you are over 18 years of age, your medical information will not be shared with anyone, including your parents, professors, and other medical providers, unless you provide your consent. If you sign a consent to release medical information it will be specific to the person you wish for us to speak with and to that incident. For example, if you have strep and you wish for us to correspond with your parents about it, we will never share unrelated medical information during our correspondence.

    There is no blanket consent form for parental correspondence. Each time you wish for us to correspond with your parents we will ask for your consent.

  • To be referred to a specialist, you must first make and attend an appointment with a Nurse Practitioner. The Nurse Practitioner can refer you to a specialist if, after evaluation, they conclude that to be the best next step.

  • No. The Student Health Center refers all students to a local allergy and immunology practice in South Burlington. You may contact them directly to establish ongoing care.

    Timber Lane Allergy & Asthma Associates

    53 Timber Lane, South Burlington, VT

    Phone: (802) 864-0294

    Fax: (802) 864-3779

  • All of our practitioners are licensed prescribers. If you think you have strep throat then you should make an appointment at the Student Health Center to be evaluated. Once a practitioner has evaluated you they may determine that it is appropriate to prescribe you antibiotics.

  • Illness and injury may occasionally impact your ability to attend class or complete assignments. We urge students to notify their instructors immediately when an injury or illness prevents them from attending class or completing course work.

    The Student Health Center does not provide written medical excuses for class absences. Students may request documentation to verify the date and time they were seen for an appointment at the Health Center, but no further information will be provided. Students are responsible for making up all missed work. This approach allows for students, as young adults, to advocate for themselves and to take responsibility for their health and academics. This also encourages instructors to communicate directly with students if concerns arise.

  • The majority of our students on ADHD medication continue to receive their ADHD medication from the home prescriber. Please work out the details involved in managing your medication with your home prescriber before arriving on campus. We have the capacity to prescribe ADHD medications for only a very limited number of students who are not able to access their medication elsewhere during the academic year. For the limited student body for which we prescribe ADHD medication, we require monthly visits, a signed contract, and urine drug screening. For more information, please refer to the ADHD Treatment Policy.

  • Yes.

    You can get tested and treated for sexually transmitted infections at the Student Health Center. If you believe that you have an STI you should make an appointment at the Student Health Center. Whether or not you think you might have an STI, we recommend getting tested every 3 to 6 months if you are sexually active. Review your testing options.

  • Pregnancy tests are available at the Student Health Center. Please schedule an appointment if you would like to take a pregnancy test.

  • You can make an appointment at the Student Health Center if you would like to discuss birth control options with a Nurse Practitioner. Our Nurse Practitioners are licensed prescribers who can write you a prescription if, after evaluation, deemed appropriate.

    There are also a number of local clinics that provide reproductive health services. There is a Planned Parenthood within walking distance of the Champlain College campus. Students seeking IUD and Nexplanon birth control will be referred to a local provider or their primary care provider.

  • Free condoms and dental dams are provided in multiple locations around campus as a public health measure to promote safe sex. Click here for information about the locations of these supplies.

  • Yes. For more information on using a Chosen Name, or changing your legal name, go to the Office of the Registrar website to learn about updating your personal information.

Make an Appointment

Vaccination Requirements at Champlain

Watch this video to learn how to upload your immunization records:

Parent FAQs

Student Health Center

Ground Level of Whiting Hall
203 S. Willard Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Summer months: Closed
Academic year:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM
Closed daily from 12:00–1:00 PM