Emergent Media Center
Who We Are
The Emergent Media Center is an interdisciplinary Center of Experience at Champlain College committed to educate and inspire next-generation media creators to be thoughtful contributors to our media culture. Guided by faculty and staff, students apply skills gained in their majors to real-world projects, allowing them to conceptualize, prototype, and produce a wide range of media and design-related solutions to create positive impact.
- We are a blend of business and learning. We are always evolving with technology, media, culture, community, and our students.
- We are a positive force in the world that does well by doing good.
- We enable Champlain students to become thoughtful leaders in areas of technology, media and learning.
- We help define the future of immersive mediums and technologies.
THE EMERGENT MEDIA CENTER STRIVES TO...
- Create a place of business and learning that gives students real-world experience, and allows clients to work with smart, talented, young professionals.
- Collaborate, engage, and discuss with industry, clients and community to solve problems and create positive change.
- Foster an environment in which students can foster friendships, collaborate with clients, peers, faculty and staff, and learn by doing.
WHAT DO WE DO?
As a Center of Experience at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont, the mission of the Emergent Media Center (EMC) is to inspire and educate the next generation of media creators to be thoughtful contributors to our media culture. With a design process that encourages creativity and collaboration, the EMC enables students to work with real-world clients to conceptualize, prototype, and produce a wide range of media and design-related solutions to create a positive impact.
The EMC is a creative studio that prioritizes experiential education, design thinking, and interaction on the pathway to innovative solutions for partnering organizations. Collaboration is at the core of everything we do. We believe that only by bringing together a diverse mix of students, faculty, staff, and subject matter experts, can we achieve our shared goal of creating a positive impact through intentional, well-designed media.
With a focus on human-centered design and agile development methodologies, EMC students think critically, take risks, understand processes, and reflect on their practice, both individually and communally. Through a scaffolded design-studio model students engage in workplace critiques and build hybrid work-readiness skills (a combination of both hard and soft skills), all the while building up their resumes and portfolios.
WHO DO WE WORK WITH?
Private companies, non-profit organizations, foundations, and entrepreneurs. Emergent industries need skilled, smart employees. Non-profits are looking for emergent media and games to solve meaningful problems.
HOW DO WE WORK?
We work on grants, contracted projects and exploratory sponsorships. The length and budget of a contract depends on the project scope.