On-Campus Employment

Federal regulations require that J-1 exchange students obtain authorization in writing and in advance of their employment start date from their sponsor for all employment, including on-campus employment.

To be eligible for on-campus employment at Champlain College, a J-1 exchange student must be:

  1. In good academic standing by having a cumulative G.P.A of 2.0, and
  2. Engaged in a full course of study.

If approved by the A/RO, a J-1 exchange student may work no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. If approved, during campus breaks and vacations, a J-1 exchange student may work up to 40 hours a week.

At Champlain College, authorization for on-campus employment must be obtained every semester.

    1. Find a job on campus.
    2. Obtain an offer of employment.
      Students should obtain an offer letter from their employer.
      The letter should be signed and appear on the College’s letterhead.
      The letter should include the following pieces of information:

      • Your Name and Student ID Number
      • Position Name
      • Office Offering the Position
      • Dates of hire
      • Address of office location
      • Hours per week
    3. Make an appointment with your A/RO in the Office of International Student Services and complete an On-Campus Employment J Visa Authorization Form. While at OISS, your A/RO will report your on-campus employment in SEVIS. An updated DS-2019 will be printed for you to sign and keep with the rest of your documents.
    4. Begin working if you already have a Social Security Number or apply for a Social Security Number with your A/RO.

    If you are renewing your On-Campus Employment Authorization Form and already have your Social Security Number, you can begin working immediately.

    If you have never worked in the US before, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number with your A/RO.

  • Academic Training (or “AT”) is an opportunity for a student “to participate in an academic training program during their studies, without wages or other remuneration” [22 C.F.R. § 62.23 (f) (1)].

    Both degree-seeking and non-degree seeking J-1 exchange students may engage in Academic Training.


    1. Be primarily in the U.S. to study rather than engage in Academic Training,
    2. Participate in Academic Training directly related to your field of study at Champlain College,
    3. Hold valid J-1 non-immigrant status and have an unexpired Form DS-2019,
    4. Be in good academic standing at Champlain College, and
    5. Receive your A/RO’s written approval in advance for the duration and type of Academic Training.
    1. AT Advisor Recommendation Form
    2. J-1 AT Employment Letter
    1. The student and their faculty advisor complete the AT Advisor Authorization Form.
    2. The student requests and receives the AT Employment Letter from the employer.
    3. The student schedules an appointment with their A/RO.
    4. The A/RO will evaluate documents, (if complete) authorize Academic Training, and issue an updated Form DS-2019.
    5. The student must not work before or after the specified dates on the updated Form DS-2019 and must only work for the specific employer(s) indicated on the Form DS-2019.
  • Academic Training can only be authorized in SEVIS for the period of time spent enrolled as a student.

    Non-degree seeking J-1 exchange students: there is a 24 month limitation on participation (time enrolled plus time on Academic Training).

    Degree-seeking J-1 exchange students: there is an 18 month maximum on Academic Training (time on Academic Training both during and after the program).

    Post-completion Academic Training: start date for employment must be the day after the completion of the student’s program indicated on the student’s Form DS-2019.