International students, staff, and faculty who have arrived before the start of Spring semesters are required to file federal taxes every year, even if they have not worked in the U.S.

  • The deadline for federal tax returns is usually mid-April.
  • The U.S. tax year runs from January 1 – December 31 of the previous calendar year.

If you worked or did not work during this period, you will need to do your taxes.

Champlain College and the Office of International Student Services has arranged FREE access to the Sprintax Federal Tax Preparation Software to make it easy for international students, faculty, and staff to do their taxes.

Every March/April, OISS will hold workshops for non-resident aliens for tax purposes in-person and virtually. You will be notified by your Champlain College email account.

  • Before you start doing your taxes with Sprintax, you must do the following before you join the workshop:

    1. Know the following information:
      1. Current mailing and residential address
      2. Social Security Number
    2. MOST IMPORTANT: Get your I-94 travel history here.
    3. If you worked on campus between Jan 1- Dec 31: print off your Champlain College W-2 from Oracle (if you already have this document, then skip this step)!
    4. If you had authorized employment off-campus between Jan 1- Dec 31, please find your W-2 form at that employer’s site.
    5. If you have not worked before in the U.S., you still need to do taxes this Spring!
    6. Have the following items/documents on hand while doing your taxes:
      1. Personal Computer/Laptop
      2. Passport
      3. F-1 or J-1 Visa
      4. Current Form I-20 or DS-2019
      5. Any tax documents you collected or received in the mail. These may include but are not limited to W-2s, 1042-Ss, and 1099s.
    7. Have logged into Sprintax Calculus and entered all the data needed.


    You will be required to sign a waiver in order to do your taxes with OISS and Sprintax.

    Codes will be given to you at the time of the workshops to assist with the fees of filing your taxes by post.