Occasionally, an F-1 or J-1 international student will need to withdraw or take a personal or medical leave of absence from Champlain College.

Examples of personal or medical withdrawals and leaves of absence might include:

  1. A family medical emergency
  2. Financial difficulties
  3. Required Military Service
  4. A transfer to another U.S. school/institution to pursue another course of study
  5. Treatment of serious medical or psychological illness.

Steps for Academic, Personal & Medical Withdraws/Leave of Absences for F-1 & J-1 International Students:

  1. Speak with the Director, International Student Services to discuss your plans and the impact the leave of absence/withdrawal will have on your F-1/J-1 student status.
  2. Determine what the financial impact will be of your withdrawal – do the numbers with Financial Aid.
  3. Determine what the academic impact will be of your withdrawal – consult with your academic advisor.
  4. Understand Champlain College policies and procedures when withdrawing or taking a leave of absence.
  5. If you are leaving the U.S. for personal, academic, or medical reasons: please complete a College Withdrawal Form.
  6. If you intend to stay in the U.S. during your withdrawal/leave of absence: please complete a) a Reduced Course Load Authorization Form and b) a College Withdrawal Form.

The Director, International Student Services will record your RCL or terminate your record in SEVIS and inform you of the action taken.

If you are transferring to another institution completely, your SEVIS record will be transferred on the release date you have specified.

If you are withdrawing completely from Champlain and returning to your home country, your SEVIS record will be terminated for “Authorized Early Withdrawal” and you will have 15 days to depart the U.S. for your home country.

If you would like to return to the US and study again at Champlain AND you have not been outside of the US for more than 5 months, you may be eligible for a reactivation of your SEVIS record.