On-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

If you are maintaining your full-time student status, you may take a part-time job on campus for 20 hours or less per week while school is in session (fall and spring semesters) as long as it does not interfere with maintaining full-time enrollment.

International students may work full-time on-campus while school is not in session (annual vacations and breaks). Students must apply for on-campus work authorization EVERY semester.

In order to work on-campus you follow these simple steps:


Find a job on-campus


Obtain an offer of employment
Students should obtain a letter or other proof of employment from their employer. The letter should be signed and appear on the organization's letterhead.


Visit OIE to request On-Campus Employment Authorization Form
After finding a job, and obtaining proof of employment students should visit OIE to request the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form. This is a light blue form issued by OIE. It is not valid until your DSO has signed it.


Begin working if you already have a Social Security Number or apply for a Social Security Number with your DSO in OIE.
If you are renewing your On-Campus Employment Authorization Form, you can begin working immediately. If you have never worked in the US before, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number with your DSO in OIE.