F-1 Transfers & Program Extensions

SEVIS Transfers 

If you wish to transfer from Champlain College to another school in the United States, a school transfer procedure must be completed in SEVIS.

You can transfer out from Champlain College:

  • Before ever starting at Champlain College
  • During a term
  • After a term
  • After program completion
  • During post-completion OPT
  • After post-completion OPT

Before Starting at Champlain

In order to be eligible to transfer out from Champlain College before starting school, you must have reported to Champlain College prior to the program start date and can begin your studies at the new school no later than 30 days after your U.S. arrival.

Transfer During A Term

In order to transfer during a term, you must be maintaining status and there cannot be a gap between ending studies at Champlain College and starting studies at the new institution. 

Transfer After Term, Program, or OPT

In order to transfer after having completed a term, a program, or post-completion OPT, you must maintain status and inform Champlain of your intent to transfer to another institution. Please note that the break between transfers cannot exceed 5 months. You will usually be required to transfer for the next "required" (fall or spring) term. If the next required term at the new institution starts earlier, you must begin then. If not, you must depart the U.S. and re-enter on a new F-1 status. If the next "required" term is more than five months away, you must begin their studies in the next "available" (usually winter or summer) term. Again, if you cannot do this, you must depart the U.S. and re-enter in new F-1 status.

Transfer Process:

Please note with transfers occurring after the term, program, or post-completion OPT:

  • You should obtain and sign a "Transfer Pending" I-20 within 15 days of beginning attendance at the new institution.
  • You should report to your new P/DSO at the new institution within 15 days.
  • You are required by immigration law to obtain a "Transfer Completed" Form I-20 within 30 days of the program start date at the new institution. 

Program Extensions

If you cannot complete your current degree program by the program end date listed on your Form I-20, you must apply for a program extension and be issued an updated Form I-20 before your current Form I-20 expires!

Qualifications for a Program Extension:

  • Your current Form I-20 has not expired.
  • You have new financial documents which show you can support yourself during the time being requested.
  • You have an important academic or documented medical reason which prevented you from finishing your program as planned. Academic probations or suspensions are not acceptable reasons for a program extension.

Required Documents for a Program Extension:

  • A completed and signed Champlain College F-1 Program Extension Form.
  • New financial documentation to cover the extra time being requested.
  • Medical evidence from a licensed medical doctor or psychologist on official letterhead that states the nature and dates of the illness (only for extensions based on medical grounds).

To apply for an extension, you must submit all required forms and documentation to your P/DSO.