Renewing your F-1 student visa

Entry visas can only be issued outside of the United States. Champlain College recommends that you renew your F-1 student visa in your home country.

We also strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment in advance before you leave the US and to double-check the US embassy website in your country to see if there are other documents that they will require of you in addition to the ones listed below.

Standard documents necessary for renewal

  • Valid Passport (at least 6 months into the future)
  • DS-160 Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application
  • Current Form I-20 (updated with new finances and endorsed for travel)
  • All previous Forms I-20
  • New proof of funding
  • Transcripts from Champlain College and any other previous institutions
  • Proof of compelling ties to your home country
  • Letter from the Director, Office of International Student Services in support of your renewal
  • SEVIS I-901 receipt (from your first visa interview)
  • Any fees that might apply and receipt for them