Through collaborations with other students, classroom teaching and hands-on experience, you'll become conscious of branding, entrepreneurship and curatorial practices, grounding you in the business of interdisciplinary artistic endeavor.
This deep set of proficiencies in multiple areas will increase your marketability in a variety of dynamic creative industries. You will graduate from this program as a confident, articulate person, able to express your process, your artistic voice and your personal brand.
Graduates from the program will be able to:
- Identify, compare and contrast important theoretical, critical, cultural and historical approaches to art and aesthetics and apply these to their own work and the work of their peers.
- Identify and evaluate historical innovations and experiments in the arts and media, and effectively respond to contemporary practical problems with a similar sense of innovation.
- Evaluate a variety of media for their unique communicative and aesthetic potentials.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency of the necessary tools in at least three specific creative media disciplines (i.e. visual art, film and video, games, interaction design, creative writing) in order to resolve aesthetic challenges. Additionally, graduates should be "conversant" with all of the disciplines represented in the program, enabling them to work productively with artists in different disciplines.
- Evaluate, deconstruct and re-evaluate their personal artistic practice.
- Articulate their own ideas and express them effectively, with clarity, appropriateness and interest, justifying both process and product as called upon to do.
- Experiment with intentionality.
- Muster the courage in themselves to create and present their unique vision, displaying the requisite fearlessness "to fail" (upon occasion).
- Integrate the concepts and values from Champlain College's Core Curriculum into their critical and creative approaches to art.
- Identify contemporary social, political, cultural, etc. issues that connect to and/or inform their artistic practice, and critically consider the importance of this relationship.
- Identify and anticipate trends (the "avant-garde") in the various art disciplines and the world of interdisciplinary art.
- Synthesize disparate media into aesthetically successful, cohesive and meaningful works of art, uniquely expressing themselves through this fusion of creative disciplines.