Champlain's Bachelor of Science degree in Game Programming—one of the first bachelor's degrees of its kind in the nation—combines games with the intellectual challenge of software creation to produce a highly versatile and valuable, in-demand skill set.
In the Game Programming major, you will gain cutting-edge skills and experience that will make you an outstanding candidate for a position as programmer in the game industry or any number of other industries. Thorughout the course of the program, you'll experience building games for game consoles, mobile devices and traditional PCs. Through our labs and classrooms, students gain experience building on (and deploying to) a variety of platforms and operating systems, including PC/Windows and Xbox 360, Apple and iOS platforms, emerging platforms (Android Mobile, social media), and Linux/Unix . By graduation, you'll have:
- Studied both theory and application of game programming from game industry veterans
- Acquired a foundation of mathematics, physics, computer science and software engineering necessary for game development
- Mastered contemporary technology for 2D and 3D graphics
- Designed and build artificial intelligence, physics engines and networking systems
- Collaborated with students from other game development majors to build industry-quality games in the Champlain Game Studio
- Produced an impressive project-based game portfolio
Mix Classroom Theory with Actual Production Experience
- Take Introduction to Programming, Game History & Development and Game Technology and three more classes directly required in your major in your first year at Champlain, thanks to our Upside-Down Curriculum.
- Gain real-world knowledge from the extensive experience and outstanding game industry achievement of our faculty.
- Champlain's team-based studio environment, The Game Studio, will have you authoring code that will drive graphics and bring characters to life in a real-life game collaboration.
- Build a highly marketable resume and portfolio through our extensive Game Programming internship opportunities.
- Study abroad at Champlain's campus in Montreal, Canada, the world's second-largest game development center-only 90 miles from our Burlington, Vermont campus. Attend the Montreal Game Summit every year and make industry connections.
- Build a strong foundation in computer science and software engineering and study both the theory and application of game subsystems. Learn the other skills you will master in the Game Programming major.
- Champlain's reputation for producing high caliber industry professionals is substantiated by the extraordinary success of its graduates. Envision your own Career Success after you graduate!
- Find out what you need to know to Apply to this popular major.